AuthorTopic: Tiles - The Grid  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Tiles - The Grid

on: January 20, 2011, 12:56:01 pm
Hey, I've recently followed a tutorial on how to make a grass tile and I made the grass tile, and then I put them next to each other and I saw THE GRID! And I need help removing it. So here's my grass tile  and here is THE GRID . So I'm waiting for help.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Tiles - The Grid

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:12:47 pm
First off, it does not help to post the image with the red lines on it. Please change it to one without those.

If you take a closer look at your tile you can see that there is a tuft of grass in the middle, but when you put them next to each other you get a very griddy feel, like

ooo
ooo
ooo

with the o's representing your tufts of grass. You can try to put some more blades of grass in between to get rid of the grid.
The best solution tho is to make a couple more tiles. It is very hard to make something that uses only a single tile and not show the grid.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:19:26 pm
I find the best way to avoid the grid is to avoid patterns that stand out. When you're working with a tile, avoid having one thing that's larger, or a different color, or smaller. For example with grass, your best bet is to make all the blades somewhat evenly sized. You can vary them in size, but the larger you make some blades of grass, the smaller you'll eventually have to make the others because of lack of room. This 'causes an obvious grid effect as the larger blades of grass develop a pattern that grabs the viewers attention, and the rest of the tile is drowned out.

Variation, but with subtlety.

Also, most of the time people succumb to the grid because of the edges of the tile. When you create a tile you're working with just one individual tile. Thus you can't see the effects of it tiled until you're done working with it. So you focus on the center and suddenly you tile it and the edges form a grid because they were neglected. Your best bet to overcome this after you're done working on the center, cut the tile in half and shift one half to the other side so the edges are touching. Do this both horizontally and vertically. There's an image of how to do this floating around made by another member, but I'm not sure where to find it.

Also, the less tiles you have to work with, the better incentive to do something simpler. It's going to be very hard to get a good grass tile with the amount of detail you're attempting unless you add more tiles to the mix.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:24:04 pm by Dusty »

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:47:52 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=9865.msg107103#msg107103
This thread contains a lot of useful info about tiles, including the image Dusty was talking about. :y:

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 09:51:45 am
When ever I try to do more grass tiles it is just crap  :'( like this . No matter what I try I can't get it.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:52:21 pm
That's not too bad :)
Make sure you regularly tile the grass you work on, lets you spot grids that form.
Here's my thoughts on where grids appear:

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:27:48 pm
Okay, not sure if that helps but I tried to show some examples here. They're not the best ones obviously, but here you go:

First, I tried to make 3 kind of grass (well, 2+reverse, went lazy here) using your colors. Each one is used to clearly show the grass' direction. I didn't put much effort into this, but I think the grid is pretty well hidden.

Then I just took different tiles from Seiken Densetsu 3, next to another grass tile I did. The grass is going in all direction at the same time, and it becomes a lot harder to hide the grid. I'm kinda happy with what I did, but the grid can still be seen here.

I'm not really sure if this helps in any way, but I pretty much understand how to do grass now thanks to examples I could analyze. Just keep trying!