AuthorTopic: Monstrous Help  (Read 5575 times)

Offline TNTuser

• View Profile

Monstrous Help

on: January 18, 2011, 05:57:26 am
This is my first post here.I need help with this monster for platform game:

What do you think?(The colors in the top are the colors i used)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:19:54 am by TNTuser »

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Re: Monstrous Help

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:42:30 pm
BIGGER! Must be bigger! Otherwise no one will bother to help you cause it is so epicy lame and there is no room for changing it
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline TNTuser

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:27:13 pm
That's the point.I need help with the color of the skin...That's a monster and the hero in the game is 16x16.It must be smaller than him.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:45:23 pm
BIGGER! Must be bigger! Otherwise no one will bother to help you cause it is so epicy lame and there is no room for changing it

What the hell dude, you've got less than 10 posts and you're telling people that their pixel art is 'epicly lame'? Get out of here! Or shape up, seriously.

TNTuser, I think it works pretty well as it is, although you can definitely improve it. Do you have any palette restrictions or such? Do you have any background art for the game it's gonna be in? Or just a general color feel, all that would help.
' _ '

Offline TNTuser

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:46:39 pm
I think i can make some background.It's gonna be some kinda jungle or just a big grass field  :)

Offline Konrad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:19:24 pm
At this size I don't think you need that many shades of green.
Also, why is it that the legs are missing in one frame ?

Offline TNTuser

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:24:24 am
It's lying on the ground,and then jumping to attack  :D

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:27:46 am

What the hell dude, you've got less than 10 posts and you're telling people that their pixel art is 'epicly lame'? Get out of here! Or shape up, seriously.

TNTuser, I think it works pretty well as it is, although you can definitely improve it. Do you have any palette restrictions or such? Do you have any background art for the game it's gonna be in? Or just a general color feel, all that would help.
Epicly lame was a mistake on my part. I'm just saying it needs improvement.
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:42:19 am
Epicly lame was a mistake on my part. I'm just saying it needs improvement.

The differance between construstive criqitue and just putting something down is pretty clear.

Looking at his other thread with the crystal of the same size i'd say there's probably size restrictions. Are they for the same project? This has the same problem as your crystals, your shading everything flat. Give it some life and volume!

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 01:22:46 pm
It's been ages since I posted on here. Anyway...

So I dunno about you but for me a picture speaks way more than the 1000 words everyone quotes so:

Personally your colour pallet was a bit too much for such a small piece. I culled it down.
Next off try adding more contrast to the smaller amount of colours. I don't just mean by going darker or lighter but add some blues to the shadows and yellow to the light sources. (I myself generally use green for light and purple for shadow but that's a bit hard to do on a green lizard thing)
Next when shading try and think of the creature made up of shapes and image how said shapes would be shaded. I always add a line of shadow above an eye and a line of light below an eye to show indention. It's a bit of an exaggeration but exaggeration can be good in pixel art.
I'm personally not a big fan of black outlines on small pieces as it takes away room you could use for details but it's all about stylistic choice in the end.
Also try not to use full saturated colours. (where sat = 255) unless for a particular reason as it makes the whole thing blend in my oppinion and is intense for human eyes.
Also when he lays down I'd cut off more than his legs as if he truly were hidden against the ground. Even just another pixel or so.

Yeah anyway hope that helps a bit. (Bit hard to pixel as my current laptops screen resolution is screwed megarly, hence the little posting)