AuthorTopic: Old sprites fixed  (Read 4084 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Old sprites fixed

on: January 15, 2011, 09:24:58 pm
Something I updated in my portfolio... however, I want some critique from you guys, since you are all far ahead from my skill haha...

Point out anything you see wrong.

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Re: Old sprites fixed

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:58:36 pm
First of all I'd like to say I really like your work, but I am not strong when it comes to character work.

What I would like to suggest to you is in regards of your portfolio. Whenever I get any artist intern portfolios I much rather see the animations and not just the stills.

Keep up that great work btw.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:23:36 am
Some are a bit pillowshaded, but the thing that sticks out to me most is the inconsistent contrast on many of the sprites. For instance the girl with wings at the left-top: her wings are outlined with a mid-range grey, but there is a bracelet on her right hand that is outlined with a dark turquoise color and it really contrasts badly with the wings. I see a lot of this on the other sprites where some outlines are stronger then others on the same sprite.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:55:55 pm
@ HC_Bret_Measor = Thank you. These sprites are still when I made them back then. I will be working on making new sprites, animated... for the portfolio, as someone else also pointed me this same concern before. I appreciate your tip.

@ EvilEye = is it possible that you can trace a red line on the images you found issues with so I know where exactly to head to for fixing. I'm saying this because I am confused when you said "bracelet" on the girl with the wings... she has no bracelet.  ???
Also, thanks in advance.

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:09:27 pm
I get the feeling that you place too much emphasis on outlines versus shading. Also, some areas seem to be shaded in isolation - for example, the girl with the wings. Her ponytail comes out behind her back, but why is it equally as bright as the top of her head? And the man with polka dot vest; why do his pants have a stronger highlight than his hat? Next time, when you start a pixel piece, blob in the structure as a whole and which parts will receive the most light. Or try doing a grayscale version first so the colors don't get in the way. Don't feel the need to shade every area the same way. Some areas simply won't have highlights, and that's okay. Some areas will have sharper changes in light than others.
Aside from that, I love your character designs :D esp the guy in the lower left, he looks badass.

I think EvilEye was referring to this
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:13:19 pm by Chis »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 01:36:49 am
@ EvilEye = is it possible that you can trace a red line on the images you found issues with so I know where exactly to head to for fixing. I'm saying this because I am confused when you said "bracelet" on the girl with the wings... she has no bracelet.  ???
Also, thanks in advance.

Well if it's not a bracelet then I have no idea what it is.

This illustrates more or less what I meant. I left out doing the wings to save time and I probably should have outlined some more detail within the sprite. But the contrast on the whole sprite ( minus the wings ) now looks a lot more consistent and the outlines help to actually bring the sprite into the foreground rather then just add some thickness. I tried to fix the back hair a little too.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:01 pm
Chis= Thanks.

EvilEye= I fixed it, but I will leave it the way it is since I had to fix the pose to have the hair from her back and all that. I don't like the way it looks. Thanks, I'll use the advice for future works.