AuthorTopic: MechSuit  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

MechSuit

on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:18 pm
Been working on this for about a day or so and I rather like it :P. Nothing in particular that I don't like about it. Any C+C  be harsh if ya can :P

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Re: MechSuit

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:01:31 am
I know i'm not one to talk when it comes to things like this, but the first thing that pops out at me is that there is a ton of banding and in general pillow shading.
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:39:17 am
I know i'm not one to talk when it comes to things like this, but the first thing that pops out at me is that there is a ton of banding and in general pillow shading.

I wish I could make a visual reference but I'm not to good at pixel art YET so I'll just explain it. It looks like it is brand new, if it is some kind of battle-bot then it should have gunshot holes and scratches. Also the pillow shading is EVERYWHERE.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:51:45 am by ptoing »
Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:14:03 pm
As they said the pillowshading is not good but not that bad either. You've done quite a good job with the whole sprite. There are a few things I would add to it

So I took the freedom of making an edit.

First of all I cleaned it all up to just the lineart and got myself a whole new palett. Shaped some stuff up, like his left leg, the gun ect.
Added the two base colours, red and grey. Here comes the thing; When you need a shade for your colour, try to not just make what you have darker.
The palett is huuuge and there are so many Light/shades to explore. Red with the shade of purple or blue for instant. Didn't have time to finish it entierly, but I hope it helps u a bit!

Complementary colours is probably the right word to use, but not entierly. All shades aren't black, but they aren't just a darker version of the basecolour neither.

So, go explore your palett and I ensure you that you will get a better result :)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:44:13 pm by coffee »

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:14:19 pm
This has a lot of potential, and it's an incredible start, but as everyone said: pillow shading = bad.
you need to refine your outlines and manually give shape to every part of the armor for a better outcome. add some more contrast and reduce the color count.