AuthorTopic: UPDATE* C64 space cow  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

UPDATE* C64 space cow

on: January 12, 2011, 06:23:44 am
oi!  it's been a damn long time since i pixeled anything.  i was looking at some galleries on pixeljoint and saw this right here and i thought i'd try out c64 wide pixels.  scanned a sketch and ended up here.  i'm going to stop working on it for tonight because i gotta work in the morning, but i thought i'd see if i was doing it right and all that.  also, i'd love some tips.  i'm just jumping between my sketch and helm's piece right now as a method of learning.  and as always, i'm going to have a hard time coloring this thing. (edit: and i thought i'd mention that those dark red pixels are just meant to keep me from breaking the restrictions, because that's the best method for me to tell right now.)

here's the original sketch.

Thanks!

and uh, thanks to imageshack too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:55:48 pm by Gnarf »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: UPDATE* C64 space cow

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:54:16 pm
Crazy sketch! Looking forward to your finished result.
This doesn't even begin to read as a cow, however. The deformed/folded snout is especially strange. Not really a bad thing, just an observation. You'd have to really pour it on thick to help your viewer realize this is a cow at this point, such using typical dairy cow black and white splotching and give it a cowbell. If the "Mooooo" makes it into the final thing it'll help a lot, too.
Is the way wide-pixels defy detail driving you nuts yet?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:14:03 pm
I'm really digging the forms, so far.

However you know this isn't 320x200, the c64 res, and I do believe a big part of getting the feel for the widepixels involves those specs too, not just the wide and c64 color palette. There's only so much detail you can cram in a single screen for the c64 and that makes you reevaluate your spaces and so on. However, it could work as a vertical scroller, perhaps?

Please include slime droplets from the initial sketch to the final piece.

And you have a bit of a problem where the mandible and the eye overlap. What you have got going on there is something Ptoing told me (edit ptoing: a tangent)about once and whose name escapes me. It's where lines meet and destroy the sense of depth. It could be amended with coloring, but I sincerely suggest you re-place that eye somewhere else now that you're early on.

perhaps?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:58:44 pm by ptoing »

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 04:37:22 am
thanks for the responses guys.  i didn't really want him to look like a cow in any way, although i did play with the idea of having spots.  and that isn't a snout, it's his tongue haha.  i am going to add the "moo" though.  i mostly wanted it to be a huge alien creature with utters.  and yeah, i've screwed up so many times where i had to look over every single pixel until i found out where i left that 1x1 px  :ouch: i think i'm getting the hang of it now though.

and thanks for the info on the resolution helm, i'm going to finish this up in its current size and see what i can crop in the end.  i'm losing a lot of the details that i wanted in there when i tried cropping off the bottom.  i hope that isn't taboo to c64 or anything hehe.  also, i think you were referring to a tangent, and i tried fixing it without moving any of the mandibles and it wouldn't look right.  i guess i'm going to have to.  for now, i removed it.  i'm going to play around with it some more though.  i really can't wait to jump onto colors.

i think i'm almost there.

thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:40:18 am by Gnarf »