AuthorTopic: Platformer practice: Stage 1  (Read 8789 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Platformer practice: Stage 1

on: January 11, 2011, 04:26:19 am
Hey guys. I've been lurking around a few old topics and found myself staring at some of the amazing platformer mock ups. I also realized that I have very little experience making them; therefore I hope to spend some time going through that process for educational purposes. I'll be doing this on my free-time in various stages, so please feel free to comment, critique, and edit at your leisure.

Thanks.

Stage 1: Character sprite.

Leslie, age 20; demon huntress? XD

My original idea was wielding a pistol. I'm hoping to bring that idea back in a future version; hence this dagger was used as a placeholder until I manage to figure how to make one that doesn't look like crap. I'm also still trying to work on the palette, rendering of the character, and the concept. Boredom is no friend to the uncertain =[.

Offline Garreth

• View Profile

Re: Platformer practice: Stage 1

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:39:10 am
I admire your pixels. :crazy:

All I see is that her legs and shoes seem to be less outlined than the rest of her (but then again, what do I know...), and of course, the stubby dagger.

Moar, please. ;D

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:22:58 am
I admire your pixels. :crazy:

All I see is that her legs and shoes seem to be less outlined than the rest of her (but then again, what do I know...), and of course, the stubby dagger.

Moar, please. ;D

Appreciate your comment, thanks! I'm not 100 % finished with the sprite, so the outlining style might change a bit.

Currently working on a run animation (I'm a terrible animator, so I could use some pointers /tips from some pros).

I'm sleepy but I can't wait to see what insight some of you guys have to offer!

6 Frames:

Forgot to mess with the transparency in Gale, so bear with the white for now please. This outline is clearly quite rough and is only 4 frames due to my noobness. I wouldn't mind increasing it a bit.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:39:19 am by gliding »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:02 pm
Not half bad, your 4 keyframes look pretty good, and assuming you add in the last tween I think the runcycle should work. There is a little stutter thing that happens during the sub-pixel animation on her head well she is rotating, but once again assuming you dont have the subpixel stuff start then go back to using the original head frame you shoullld be fine. Id make you an edit, but sadly Im using the free version of GG.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:01:38 am
Teach me! lol, I'm using the free trial, myself.

Offline McSkippy

• Bro
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:29:34 am
You can use this link for a reference to a walk cycle:

I doesn't really have to be too complex, I've made mine 10 frames. But that was because I wanted it to be kinda smooth. 

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 07:27:25 am
Wow that's neat. I'll study and post back soonly. Thanks =]

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:28:37 am
Please, before tweening, keep in mind that right now your character moves from sideview to 3/4 with each leg. The keyframes need drastic reworking. Don't rotate the torso and head for a run!

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 07:34:19 am
Don't rotate the torso and head for a run!

Aside from preference, why not? I've moved my head while running before, so I'm a little bit confused  :o

Offline McSkippy

• Bro
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 08:08:11 am
Don't rotate the torso and head for a run!

Aside from preference, why not? I've moved my head while running before, so I'm a little bit confused  :o
It kind of depends on the character I guess, I mean, he's got to look straight to kick ass, right?