AuthorTopic: [WIP] Early graphic and animation test for character of the pirate themed game.  (Read 4178 times)

Offline ZPl

• View Profile

Here is my current version of the character for a pirate themed game. Idea is to have 4 moving directions for the character and here is the 1st version of head graphics (all directions intentionally face the player).

Any critics and feedback is welcome. It would be nice to find more personality for this character.

more details and shades needed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:36:54 pm by ZPl »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile
How do you not check yer post before you post? I can't do that.

Offline ZPl

• View Profile

hehe, i'm terribly sorry that i had not checked the preview of my post. should work now.

cheers.

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io
Hey, I like this. :o
Here's an edit; I just thought you might want to get rid of those black outlines and get some AA (too much ? :x). Minor changes on colors too:

Your version -> My edit

In my opinion the black outlines give this a really not finished feeling. Might just be me though.

Offline ZPl

• View Profile
Hey, I like this. :o
Here's an edit; I just thought you might want to get rid of those black outlines and get some AA (too much ? :x). Minor changes on colors too:

Your version -> My edit

In my opinion the black outlines give this a really not finished feeling. Might just be me though.

hey. thanks for comments and checking this out.

i keep the black outlines, it is kind of a design decision and the game i've been thinking has z-depth and there will be items overlapping the character and i think it is good to keep the black colour to define edges of playable elements. might do some lightening of the inner black lines.

i like your more saturarted colours, colours have been also in a kind of mock-ups.

and antialising, maybe something in between.

thanks!

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

@Mathias: It's a special talent. One I'm also quite gifted in  :D.

@Micko: Good start. I like the 'chibi' vibe you've got going. I'm no expert in animation but something about the left and right head-turn just bugs me...I think maybe his hat isn't turning far enough at the extremes where the head is all-the-way right or all-the-way left.