AuthorTopic: Plane Sprite (inspired by Dodonpachi)  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Plane Sprite (inspired by Dodonpachi)

on: January 11, 2011, 01:40:45 am

I wanted to capture the high contrast blocky shading you can see in the Critique thread for Dodonpachi http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4211.0

After looking through various old threads I discovered that thread and found it very impressive, so I thought I'd have a go myself.

The shading is very basic for starters, and I haven't introduced colour, I wanted to see how easy it was to mock something up entirely in greyscale.
AKA. DorifutoRabbit, RKSavage

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Re: Plane Sprite (inspired by Dodonpachi)

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:49 pm
Sorry for the double post, I've added colour and changed the shape of the wings to be more geometric.

AKA. DorifutoRabbit, RKSavage

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: Plane Sprite (inspired by Dodonpachi)

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:25:22 pm
I think I actually like the older wings. They seem a little more dynamic and flowy.

Random thought that may be useful or may not:
I also can't help but feel you've been coloring your ship a little bit randomly. Some blue here, a little yellow there...there isn't really any kind of "pop" to it you could say. Generally, ships like this are mostly grey with a few defining colors that can focus your eyes to specific parts, and help you identify it. Think about the difference between an Indian blanket and a U-haul truck.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:29:04 pm by Kcilc »