AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tileset  (Read 5062 times)

Offline dreadpirate

• View Profile

[WIP] Tileset

on: January 07, 2011, 05:55:54 am
Hey everyone.

I'm new here, and I'm pretty new to pixel-stuff too. I thought I'd come here and seek some honest feedback about my work.

What we have here is some looping tiles for a side-scroller. I don't know, maybe it's a forest-y level?

Each tile is 32x32, there are 6 "soil" tiles and 2 elements (a boosh and a flower).

I try to incorporate game design into the mix; as in, not just doing what looks pretty, but what is functional as well. For example, we know that a platformer game typically has a lot of jumping, right? So highlights on the grassy platforms, as well as the ivy plants accent the fact that these are safe platforms. The red flowers are meant to pop out and say, "Hey, a bottom-less chasm is here" or, essentially, "Wake up, something requires your attention"; sort of a subconcious warning for the player.

You might also notice that the palette is somewhat subdued. I think that background elements add a lot of flavor to a game, but should be kept, well, in the background. I save the brighter, more vivid colors for the player character, items, enemies, etc. This way, they "pop" and grab the player's attention immediately.

I'd appreciate any critiques; I mean, that's why I'm here.

Glad to meet everyone, if I can hunt down an intro thread, I'll post a little more about my design philosophies, goals, background, etc.

-SD

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tileset

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 06:06:28 am
I like what you have so far.

I would recommend that in the gaps between the rocks, choose a darker color, and maybe shade those areas too, so it looks less like you drew random rocks and filled in the small spaces.

I also think the bush could use some shaping. It's a near perfect circle. Try giving it a little bit of root to the ground, and make leaves in groups. This will break the circular edge and make the bush look more bushy.

I really like the vines and the flower. Those are very well done. :)

Offline dreadpirate

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:04:16 am
Hi Lukkas,

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, a little more depth would work better.

Do you have any comments on the palette? I'm pretty much colorblind, although not in a literal sense, but more in the way that a person who can't sing is referred to as tone-deaf. 

Thanks again,
SD

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:13:02 pm
I don't think your palette is half bad, but I took a crack at making your colors ramp more naturally. Generallly speaking, when you're making a color ramp, as your color goes from dark to light, the hue should increase. The saturation should decrease. And the brightness should increase. Likewise, when going light to dark, your hue should decrease, saturation should increase, and brightness should decrease. These certainly aren't hard, set-in-stone rules, but they make for a good guideline for discovering a good progression.

This was my result:

It actually doesn't look as good as yours, but I think that's because I may have misinterpreted a few of your colors. It makes the problem with the way you've just filled in some of the smaller spots with single colors more obvious though.

I think you have several unnecessary shades. I think you should try trimming 2 shades each from your shadow colors, your green colors, and your brown colors. I left your flowers alone because I really like them :)