AuthorTopic: redd and blou  (Read 9806 times)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

redd and blou

on: January 06, 2011, 08:27:57 am
So my brother and I have been working on a personal game project again for the last two months and while we're progressing nicely, I figured I should get a few opinions from you guys and gals as I'm not always entirely happy. For now I'm just posting some of the character animations and will leave you guessing as to what the game's actually about. Background's all just placeholders for now and won't be exclusively pixel art, so I'll leave that out for the time being as well.

I'll be glad to answer any questions if you don't know what to make of them :) Here's a first few, I'll keep them coming as I go along finishing them up

So long,

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Re: redd and blou

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:15 pm
Well to start with I love the character design, it's quirky and you can see enough similarity in the characters to see them as brothers. I love how they wobble when they run, although it seems a little false, maybe the top of them would lean a bit further and delay slightly before wobbling back. I really like how you made them dance too, it reminds me a little of Spore.

Are they going to remain flat colour or will there be some additional shading at a later stage?
AKA. DorifutoRabbit, RKSavage

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:24:38 pm
 :) awesome. Very simple and effective look, I like how things being painted on them look the same as shading....the kinda stuff that makes 2d worth it.

I appened to be listening to this while looking at this...seems to match, very....machinaruim :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmKGLV3zEaM&feature=player_embedded#!

Do you have any character traits that differentiate them? I'd guess the red one is more energetic just from the color but that's about it.

I feel like I only got nitpicks right now...one would be how the red one's arms bounce while he runs...I feel like their action line should draw a circle or an arc, and not go down that far cause it really marks the loop

The other thing...maybe the red one should be a just a pixel more tilted in his ilde...I'm not really sure if the torso's supposed to bend at his waist or he can only twist it...also can his head-disk thing tilt independently from the torso?

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 12:44:31 am
knight: thanks. the wobble synchs with the outro music of each level (they remain visible, running on to the next stage) as it is, but I'm not sure it's the motion itself that puts you off or something about range of the motion?

they're pretty much final as they are, in terms of detail and shading.

conceit: redd is more energetic in also being simple minded but cheerful. blou is sluggish, brighter and in a way he looks after redd while himself being a bit gloomy, maybe affected by his unfavorable physique - stubby arms, small operating range. There's one feature to each bot that especially draws a difference between the two of them that I'm not going to give away yet.
There are a few animations that mostly define redds personality a little, like the difference here between them when struggling under great weight:

I'll have a look at a more circular movement for redds arms, but as stated above, the current version goes together very well with the audio so far. and i'm already lying in bed, so I'll make and post changes tomorrow after work :)

Here's a little explanatory-ish something for the dance too:

Here's to

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:20:33 am
My first impressions - very original, clever use of pixels to make such small chars and so unique. They're totally robotic. With such odd bodies, I'm made to wonder what they're capable of, what their powers are. They alone set the bar pretty high for a creative game design, especially the environments I look forward to seeing. I expect them to be on par with the clever char designs. And finally, since they're basically vertical mirrors of each other, as far as shape, I wonder if they have collaborative and complimentary powers, like fire and ice for instance; Do they use each other's traits/abilities to overcome problems/enemies together?

Love the "robot dance".

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:52:15 pm
Dear god these are amazing.
The characters are so full of LIFE!
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:05:18 am
i didn't forget about this and actually already got the different runcycle basically catching dust on my harddrive, sorry! Though i still don't entirely understand your suggestions on the wobble, knight.

Mathias: thanks, very encouraging, yet a bit intimidating :)
yes, they both have in a way complimentary powers, and yes, the term collaboration may have been droppen once or twice in the game design process :)

lizzrd: thanks

i'll get back to you asap, but for now i can only offer what i had uploaded earlier already.

Cheers,

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:19:35 am
i'm loving how this is going, but the jumpiness when Blou changes direction and his eyes switch sides is a little offputting. I know it'd need twice the sprites to keep the asymmetry, but it's a little niggle I saw. Can't wait to see this done!
AKA. DorifutoRabbit, RKSavage

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:57 am
I agree about the asymmetry thing. In fact I would say you should make separate versions for walking left and right and what not to properly have the stripy stuff on redd and the eyes on blou. It's not like the sprites are super complicated. It would be a matter of a few minutes and it would add quite a bit. DO IT.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:34:27 pm
What kind of game will this be? I imagine it's a sidescroller, but what will it have to make it different from others, besides the charming characters, colorful designs, and fluid animations? 
This game HAS to be finished  :D