AuthorTopic: Tactics Character WIP  (Read 26530 times)

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Re: Tactics Character WIP

Reply #40 on: April 20, 2006, 12:53:50 pm
What system were you using that didn't allow the turning off of perspective then? Only it's a cakewalk in OpenGL and I'd imagine in DirectX, too. Anyhoo, the sprite looks most lovely so I'll be interested to see how this pans out. I'll also echo Helm's comment about having the terrain factor properly into the strategy.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: April 20, 2006, 01:23:18 pm
Im just the artist, i dont know anything about how the game is being made, just what features i want.  Im more interested in the storyline and presentation, since thats actually something i can effect directly.
My biggest question is how exctly should terrain factor into strategy on such a close-in scale?  the ground there is uneven yes, but it wouldnt make too much of a difference in combat since the differences from tile to tile are small
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: April 20, 2006, 01:49:27 pm
Im guessing so that objects such as your little guy there ar displayed properly, your coders will have some sort of check in place to see how high each tile is. So at least it shouldnt be too hard to do a height bonus.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: April 20, 2006, 02:02:48 pm
yeah we have a system for height, so we can do that easily, but beyond that i dont have many ideas.  im going to push for a 'solid' terrain system, so that an arrow or magic fireball can just go through things, but the problem then is that wed need a fireball pathfinding system, which would be tricky.
i dont really want to talk much about the game since this is ment to be about the pixelwork and id like to avoid this getting moved to the off-topic section
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: April 20, 2006, 02:30:27 pm
Pathfinding is a cakewalk, but you can probably just arc spells upwards so they simply fly over the problem areas.

As for how terrain affects gameplay, well hitting someone from above within reason can hurt them more (and from below can be less), bog terrain can be harder to cross (ie. less distance moved over it), lava can be impassable except to fire-aligned creatures or floating creatures, some classes can have odd bonuses like an earth aligned mage could draw mana/health as they travel over grass or other vegetation. The sky's the limit.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 02:58:22 pm
i dont really want to talk much about the game since this is ment to be about the pixelwork
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 06:45:55 pm
He should bring his knees higher in the run, so it doesn't look like he's doing that Russian dance.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 07:57:48 pm
Doh! Didn't spot that first time through.

I like the character although the background needs some deliniation. I agree the grid lines are too heavy and maybe it's an issue that'll be solved by having different terrains, but the lack of much sense of directional lighting on them  other than a few bits doesn't help. Although again maybe that's because that particular ground looks wobbly just because it can be, rather than to a particular end.

--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31:04 pm
no prob

i tried to take people's suggestions into account, and yeh the terrain is just supposed to be uneven, not going in any particular direction or serving any function, its so i can see what the different shapes look like together.
A mistake is a mistake.

sonic_reaper

Reply #49 on: April 21, 2006, 01:38:48 am
He should bring his knees higher in the run, so it doesn't look like he's doing that Russian dance.

This was a problem I noticed since you first started the walk cycle.  Incidently, I have no problem with his arms so much.  I feel that the leg is far more glaring.  Here's an edit to help ya out!  This seems like an incredible undertaking!  That's a lot to graphics to make all by yourself and at such quality.