AuthorTopic: Water Tile WIP  (Read 8438 times)

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Water Tile WIP

on: January 04, 2011, 08:41:14 pm
This is the first time I've tried to create a tile that can be tessellated in a pattern in, for example a video game. I think that such a thing is important for a Pixel Artistto be able to do. I've started with Water, as I think it's probably one of the hardest to achieve. So without further ado:

ATM I don't think the green shade is doing anything.

Any criticism is encouraged :)
AKA. DorifutoRabbit, RKSavage

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Water Tile WIP

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:44:33 pm
Not too shabby. You could break the grid a bit more: That chunk of dark blue in upper right of tile is very repeat telltale.

Use yer medium blue to AA between your light and dark.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:50:29 pm
I think your best bet here is to create the shadows and highlights on individual terms, instead of letting one dictate the other. For every shadow you have a highlight attached directly to it. I don't personally think this directly translates into any positive texture for water.

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:50 pm
I've taken both of your advice and broken up the colour, and also used more flexible highlights and shadows. I think it's better, but it's still a little ordered.

Offline Blacklight_Studios

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:47:01 pm
Beautiful edit from the original post!  ;D You're well on your way to defeating the ever-looming Grid!

You got rid of the repitition explained before, but now look at your image of the tiled "ocean"

Now, zoom it once, so you can see it better.

See how there seem to be horizontal "lines" in the image? They're everywhere, honestly, but the most obvious one is made from the top five rows of pixels in the tile itself. edit those lines out, then the Grid is almost invisible.

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:53:40 pm
I've tried to remove the obvious line, I can't see any others but it seems to be a bit...crowded if you get my drift?

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:32:11 pm
I've tried to remove the obvious line, I can't see any others but it seems to be a bit...crowded if you get my drift?

Then maybe you should mix it up a bit add 2 or maybe 3 more unique tiles. Make some more dense in terms of detail and others more sparse. The tricky part will be making sure they mesh seamlessly with each other.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:53:23 pm
Zoom in and the lines are very obvious. It's the parts where the edges of the tiles aren't interacting with each other. You have to make it look seamless, so you have to have parts going off the bottom of the tile and coming in on the top as a continuous thing