AuthorTopic: [WIP] Walking Animation Help  (Read 10973 times)

Offline ZargonX

• View Profile

[WIP] Walking Animation Help

on: January 03, 2011, 08:16:38 pm
Hey everybody,

I've been lurking around the forums for a while, but thought I'd finally jump in with a request for some help ;)

Been working on this character for an upcoming project, but after some feedback from others, I can see that he's just currently too "tight."  I think some head bobbing would help a lot, but something also feels off in his legs.  Also, he's got wings, so that's adding a whole other area of motion that I don't feel I'm tackling successfully.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Offline zez

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Walking Animation Help

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:37:41 pm
I think you are right on the headbob, but the two things that are really bugging me are the fact that his feet never leave the ground, and his back knee is almost stationary, other then on frame one.
This is made worse by the fact that his silhouette is a 3 frame walk, with only the leg shading reversed on 1, 2, 4, and 6.
I suspect changing frame 3 & 4, so that on one his back leg (from the camera) is infront, and on the other it is behind (him) would do a fair bit to make this less noticable, but you should also probably invest in a frame where one of his feet is off the ground so he isnt just shuffling around.

Offline Kitheif

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39:09 pm
Look at it this way... do you walk around hunched and moon walking all the time?  :lol:

Offline Gromit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:16:24 am

Offline ZargonX

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:11 am
Thanks for the feedback so far!  The head bob is a must, and I see what you mean about the feet and back knee; I think that's what has been bugging me without realizing it.

And yes, sadly, I do hunch over everywhere I go.  No moonwalk, though :)

I'll try some revisions and repost to see how things have improved!

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:31:54 am
the muscles between his shoulderblades are too tight, he needs to relax.  This will drop his shoulders maybe two pixels.  You might even see his neck then.  He needs to not hunch forward so much, so bring his head back at least one pixel, to make him stand up straight.  A person's head is generally above his pelvis.  His head is forward of his pelvis.  His knees should probably be lowered a pixel.

Offline ZargonX

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:24:03 pm
Ok, after some revisions, here's what I've got now:

Definitely happier with the legs, but still feel there could be some tweaks to the neck/shoulders.  I took the wings out for now to just focus on the "normal" part, but those will soon be tackled as well...

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:11 pm
Arm movement is too enthusiastic. Calm it down a bit. Same could probably be said for the legs, his stride is a bit broad. Make smaller steps. It's more like a power walk right now.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:45:59 pm
This guy seems to be limping =[. Is that intentional?

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:19:46 pm
Opposite arm. Opposite foot.