AuthorTopic: Help required Grass [WIP]  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Mattsnoops

• View Profile

Help required Grass [WIP]

on: January 09, 2011, 07:39:36 pm
Need some tips on how to improve this grass, I want it to try and keep this style , please?

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Re: Help required Grass [WIP]

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:11 pm
Well, at the moment it kinda looks like a carpet or a really wrinkled green sheet. Grass is never that flat. If you want to get a good grass tile, you need to have it more textured. Try starting over and draw blades of grass, not ridges.

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:22:19 pm
Well, at the moment it kinda looks like a carpet or a really wrinkled green sheet. Grass is never that flat. If you want to get a good grass tile, you need to have it more textured. Try starting over and draw blades of grass, not ridges.
This.
I think I can offer a few opinions here anyway.
You're currently using 5 colours here (I counted five, anyway).  Reducing that to 3 colours here would get the same result.  At 100% the slight differences in the middle greens are invisible unless you really look.
Not sure what sized tiles you're working with, but I tried a hand at a (flawed but I tried) edit to show what I mean.

Making the darker patches look more like blades of grass is a good step.  I think you can keep the style you're going for and really concentrate on sculpting blades of grass.  Try to keep where the light source is in mind as you draw this.

Offline Mattsnoops

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:11:18 pm
Thanks for the reply, I tried your method, and it still looks weird, maybe I should redo the whole thing.

Offline Mattsnoops

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:24:46 pm
Update:

Any tips on how to improve it any further?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:54:38 am
Your latest edit is 17 step backwards.

It's pure noise. It's garbage. It has no expression. Your first iteration was far superior to it. It, at least, had some expressive texture to it. Be it like carpet, or something else.

Try and indicate plantlife, grass blades, look up previous games' method of grass textures. Learn from them. The goal you seek has been achieved countless times by other artists. Benefit from their successes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:30:23 am by Mathias »