AuthorTopic: 2bit man lost in 16bit world  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

2bit man lost in 16bit world

on: December 31, 2010, 08:39:02 pm
Some of you might remember a topic I posted a while back about a game I was working on. A lot of you helped contribute ideas on my art, and really helped me out. Well, I'm here to tell you all that this project still hasn't died, and I still need critique on work that I've done. The game has really progressed, and I might even have something for you all to fiddle with soon. Any ways, here are the latest screens:
http://i.imgur.com/eYUJo.png (was too big to post as an image)
Yeah a whole lot hasn't really changed :P
But I do have some spiffy new cave tiles:

But those too are still being worked on, hence the reason why theres only blackness for a BG.
Well, lets hear guys, what do ya think?

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Re: 2bit man lost in 16bit world

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:22:29 am
Hey Tidbit,

looks okay so far, but i, personally, would change the colors of the main Character. Please read here why -> http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/chapter6.htm .

In short words:

The main Character should stand out more. You should easily see, where the Character is and so on.

And, yes, i know that the low color palette on the main Character is intentional. Maybe you could give him a border or something like that, to stand out more?

Just my 2 Cents,
Ingo
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:34:48 am by Seele07 »

Offline Lashloch

• the brain is made of fire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:58:20 am
It reminds me of Cave Story, which is a good thing.

You cave walls/ceiling seem to have some spots of water on them, which is a nice touch, but maybe you could consolidate them into larger patches that are fewer in number. As it stands, you've got random blue pixels on your walls. Also, your water looks like it should be lowered a few pixels; I'm not sure why it's elevated above the rock. Maybe change the colour of the fungi, as well, to something more muted and cave-y.

Looks good otherwise, though.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:29:05 am
Hey Tidbit,

looks okay so far, but i, personally, would change the colors of the main Character. Please read here why -> http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/chapter6.htm .

In short words:

The main Character should stand out more. You should easily see, where the Character is and so on.

And, yes, i know that the low color palette on the main Character is intentional. Maybe you could give him a border or something like that, to stand out more?

Just my 2 Cents,
Ingo
Yeah, the reason he doesn't stand out in the cave area is because I haven't made a BG yet. Once I get the BG done, I'll see if i can keep the palette, or not.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:19:59 am
The world looks more like 8bit than 16bit.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:55:34 pm
Im pretty sure its 16 bit, since every color has only 4 shades.

Offline Kaito

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:44:01 am
i think the seaweeds need some bubbles because they need air too.....
its stupid but u will have more realistic pixel art

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:39 am
yeah thats a good idea....I'll try it out :D.
Also, new palette:

I actually love it. It stands out perfectly.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:45:43 pm
On the dark dirt background, I might suggest a lower contrast to help differentiate the tiles. Or you could just make a little bit different tile for the background. To put it in terms that someone else in this topic already pointed out, try taking some tips from this when it comes down to the monotony of the tiles

It's still looking like a nice game, Tidbit. Glad to see you're still working on it

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:39:51 am
CRITBARPH. Please close browser if not 18+.
What I meant was this game's GFX look more like NES than SuperNintendo GFX. 8bit -VS- 16bit.; This game's overall aesthetic appeal is more 8bit-like than 16bit, IMO.
Tiles don't exude creativity in such a way that compels one to explore. The caliber is common. Not subpar, but nothing occurring that hasn't already been done. If you could just find less default mechanisms to convey texture and surface-type there could be a significant appeal increase.
Protagonist looks WIP
Op's post presents a much more pleasant scene; the eye is allowed to rest and focus much more than the most previously posted mockup. Most previous mockup is very noisy and overloading. The solid foreground dirt/rock tiles present so much graphics they overkill your cartoonized expression of surface type. Perhaps utilize edge tiles (like OP's mockup) and in-fill tiles may bet better served with FAR less contrast, therefore decreasing the overwhelming demand on the eye to take notice. A KEY design principle - we pathetic humans can only cognize so much a time - set visual priorities more wisely so your users (potential game players) have as pleasant an experience as possible while mashing their keyboard while your executable is an active PC process.
Previously posted mockup: edit bg cave tiles to depict dirt/rock texture at more of a distance; make each rock shape smaller than foreground dirt/rock texture. Texture recyclage obviousnicity penalty; yellow card.
Red blobs are ambiguous. Could be heart/HP refills or toxic enemy mushrooms, or even Al Gore*.
HUD sux. Separate better from level environment. ATM, the hearts HP indicators could be perceived as part of the level itself. Is that really all the info a user needs, HP? I am a minimalist, I loved Mirror's Edge's approach to UI design, but are you being too idealistic? Does the protagonist not get items or anything? SHAZAM

PROGNOSIS: You're doing great. You're learning. Keep up the great work. Don't compare yourself to others not in your class. Everyone has a superior. Continue doing your best. Enjoy your time spent on this project, that's what really matters.

* j/k.