AuthorTopic: PixelLOD  (Read 3305 times)

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

PixelLOD

on: December 26, 2010, 04:36:27 am
Hello.

I am learning OpenGL and as a way to help the concepts stick I am trying to take the boring academic examples and extend them into things that interest me. I am currently learning about mipmaps and as I like to work in 2D with pixel art I was about ready to dismiss them and move on as doing any scaling with pixel art besides nearest neighbor up scaling is usually evil.

Then I started to consider why this is and does it need to be. The following series of posts is the results of that musing. Discussion, critique, and toying with the demos are welcome.

Miplods pixel whats?

The concept of mipmap generation is simple. Take a texture and create smaller textures by powers of two. The methods for doing this programmatically have been pretty well figured out by graphical programming wizards spewing mumbo jumbo like tri-linear bicubic nearest pixel bumping and that is all well and good when you are dealing with high resolution textures.

When it comes to pixel art the importance of a single pixel means that handing this over to a robot, even a startlingly intelligent one, will not give ideal results. It turns out we humans are good for something once in a while and this is one of those times.

The decision that needs to be made, many times, is simple. Take four pixels, a 2x2 block, and turn them into one pixel. If the block of pixels that you are deciding on are solid black pixels then the decision is easy. Replace it with a single black pixel.

If two pixels are black and two are white then a more difficult decision must be made. Do you use solid black, solid white, or do you average and introduce a grey color? The possibility that you will use a different color entirely also exists in scenarios where a limited palette is concerned and using yellow may make the most sense. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, there is not a clear right answer in these scenarios.

The human part comes in by examining the piece as a whole and looking at what these 4 pixels are part of representing. I have read Helm’s analogy of pixel art with the game Go, and this is particularly apt when it comes to pixel mipmap generation.

Maybe the black pixels are part of text and getting the idea that text is here, even if you can’t read it, is what’s important so solid black is used. Alternatively, maybe those white dots represent specular lighting and white would be preferred while grey would destroy what is being represented. These are simplified examples for demonstrative purposes and in practice the decision is usually much more complex and difficult.

Mipmap Generation Example

For this example we are going to take a look at a boring square shape that uses pillow shading to simplify the decisions that need to be made during generation.

The first block of the square texture is the most difficult of the entire piece. You have 3 black pixels making up the corner of the outline and the specular dot making up the highlight corner. Removing either means changing what is being portrayed.

It turns out there is another possibility. When you run into a situation where there are two or more pixels that are equally important and you cannot rightly dismiss one over the other then you need to start to look outward. In the vicinity of the bottom-right of the block is a vast sea of plain blue pixels. Sacrificing one of those blue pixels to save the specular is an easy trade off.

The impact of this choice should not be taken lightly. You are not eliminating one seemingly unimportant blue pixel, you are eliminating four. This single step can lead to a series of decisions that seems to spiral out of control. In this case all four are blue pixels that can be easily eliminated.

This process continues around the entire border effectively compressing in on the solid blue area. We end up leaving the vital border, highlight, and shadow intact while simplifying the amount of surface represented in blue. Once you have the first scale figured out you can often glean what you learned and apply it down as you make the rest. This is not always the case.

Another way you can look at this process is taking whatever it is that is being represented and working under more and more restricted resolutions until you get to a single dot. The more I have been working under these conditions the more I am starting to find it to be the exact opposite of where I started this experiment. The exercise of taking a piece and simplifying it until the decision comes down to a single pixel, deciding what single color best represents this thing, is a beautiful, challenging process.

The Demo

The demo is available here.

Two instances of the blue square texture are loaded. Texture 0 [T0] creates a generated mipmap where the computer does a decent, albeit flawed, job. Texture 1 [T1] uses the handmade individual textures that are in the folder.

When you launch the demo by default it is using T0, the computer generated one, with nearest neighbor filtering. If you zoom in and out (up/down arrow. Shift for finer control.) you can see the bang up job that is done. If you carefully observe you will notice that as it gets further away it does a cycle of dropping the highlight/shadow, outline, and then both. If you switch to T1 (left/right arrow) you will see that they look identical at all z levels. This is because by default the mipmaps are not being used and essentially what you are looking at is identical.

Flip on and off the mipmaps (F1/F2) and at this point the difference when zooming should be noticeable. Toggle between the settings at various z levels to see how they look. T0 does a much better job over nearest neighbor until you get a good distance from the camera where it turns into a smudgy blue block. With T1 and mipmaps enabled at nearly every z depth you can see the solid black outline, specular, highlight and shading. Some levels are particularly troublesome where the outline may be too thick or the highlight is nearly invisible, but the first step in not losing visual data is accomplished.

To solve these problems a couple techniques can be used and we will explore them in the next post. Hopefully this has given some food for thought and a neat demo to play around with. Feel free to try making your own mipmaps by replacing the textures that are in the folder. They need to be saved as uncompressed TGA files, which I was unfortunately not able to locate a way to do in Promotion so had to use another application to convert them. If you get a black box then the most likely problem is the TGA file is using compression.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:23:52 pm by AnnIshman »

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Re: PixelLOD

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:24:22 am
So this program basically uses a grid system to create different sized images from a main image?thats really interesting, The only thing that I've seen that is somewhat similar was in a program used to edit Sonic2 levels. It used a system of 8x8 tiles that made up 16x16 blocks, that made up 124x124 chunks. I found that system useful, as im sure i'll find this program useful.

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:18:39 pm
The key thing here is that although even scales of 8x8, 16x16, etc... are being used for the mipmaps, when you zoom in and out what you are seeing are linear transitions of 32x32, 31x31, 30x30, so on. This is the real tricky part where we don't want to draw dozens of scale levels for each step as that would mean each asset could turn into thousands of images when you factor in things like animations. It is also debatable of whether having this much control over each step is really beneficial.

The practical uses for this is also something I will be exploring in future posts. I am very interested in anything even remotely similar as it is not a subject I have found much info on when it comes specifically to pixel art. Hence my post with hopefully a group of people who are equally curious about exploring it.   :)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:57:48 am
Reminds me of the principles used in liquid rescale. Have you looked at that?

EDIT:
here's an animated comparison. Other than handling of diagonals, the liquid rescaling results are quite similar.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:10:38 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:42:44 pm
That seems like a bit of fantastical wizardry. I'd like to check it out, but I am hesitant to install another art app. I get a good feel for how it works watching the videos. I am curious how it will hold up to complex pixel art, as the blue block is about as simple as it gets.

However, it is a front end for this library. It would be pretty great to implement this as a plugin for Promotion. It would also be trivial to leverage it in my code. Lots of things to consider with this, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Edit:
Liquid Rescale Lib: Defeated
Promotion Plugins: Defeated
MFC: Defeated
Getting Promotion image data to play nicely with what Liquid Rescale wants: al..most.. defeated.. kind of.

One minor downside is there does not seem to be a way to resize a frame from a plugin for promo so it will have to create a new frame rather than resize the one you are currently working in. I also considered turning the resized frame into a brush, but it doesn't seem like you can do that either. You can create the new frame, make a brush, then delete the new frame easily enough.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:44:04 am by AnnIshman »