AuthorTopic: Panoply  (Read 4463 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Panoply

on: April 14, 2006, 11:48:02 pm

This is my first shoot 'em up type ship. It's going to be used for a game but not a shoot 'em up. I would like comments, critiques, and advice as to how to make a good 45° one.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: Panoply

Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 11:58:42 pm
Your basic 45degree shape is correct, except, when comparing the two, the flame is a bit longer and the nose a bit thinner in your 45degree ship than in your other ship. The basic ship design is nice and simple, but could use some AA or selout around the edges. The flame could also use some extra detail (effects usually don't benefit from black outlines).

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 02:50:36 pm
the problem you've got here is that your 45 is a heck of a lot bigger than your 90 by comparisson.  I suggest taking the 90, rotating it 45 degrees, and then doing a clean sprite over the jumbled one (it will come out jumbled).  thats the simplest method i know of.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 09:38:36 pm
agreed. I  would reccomend doing both a jumbled 45º rotation, and a AAed 45º rotation ( you could 4x the one you are going to enable AA on to rotate it and downsize it with AA afterwards if you want more precise results) maybe even convert the AAed one to the bitdepth you are using. then of course, from all that input you pixel over the best result implementing all the little details you/the other versions do better. that's what I do anyway.

I did some work rotating stuff like this for a celphone shump and the computer generally IS a lot better at this than you'll ever be.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 06:28:19 am by Camus »

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 10:16:57 pm
IS a lot better at this than you'll ever be

that sounds kinda rude, you probly could have phrased that better...
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 10:25:36 pm
no, its truth.  computers compute, its what they are good at.  when it comes to measurements, its good to let the computer give it a go.

although i dont think that the rotated version should be the one you use, i tihnk you should rotate to find the sizes and then hand-pixel over it.

PS: you tihnk this is hard, wait till you do vehicles in 8-directional iso :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 12:37:58 am
"PS: you tihnk this is hard, wait till you do vehicles in 8-directional iso" ... or aliens with 24 heads and 5000 tenticles...  ;)

I think the idea of turning it using the computer and pixelling over it sounds best.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 01:08:20 am
the problem you've got here is that your 45 is a heck of a lot bigger than your 90 by comparisson.  I suggest taking the 90, rotating it 45 degrees, and then doing a clean sprite over the jumbled one (it will come out jumbled).  thats the simplest method i know of.

I agree, this is definately the way to go. It's what I always do; you're garrenteed to have things in proportion.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 04:56:13 am
I love it alot, as well as the little demo dealy you showed me the other night. totally you, and you dont take shit from nobody <3
alexander