AuthorTopic: yet another platformer game (sorry!)  (Read 4443 times)

Offline floatvoid

• View Profile

yet another platformer game (sorry!)

on: December 30, 2010, 12:25:28 am
Whoah, hey there Pixelation, I missed you guys! Last time I came 'round these parts was the megaman challenge in 2008. Heh.. Life gets busy.

I've been buzzing this idea for a fun little project for a while, thought I'd give it a go. Its a mockup for now, with absolute intention of turning it into a playable game (that, you know, I probably won't finish).

Summary: bird-people, sea creatures, guns, airships.

For now a simple test image, later tonight I'll upload a shot with more game-ness (UI, enemies, etc).

(imagine a giant squid monster on right. I drew him but it kind of sucks, so he's...invisible!)

FYI: there will be some graphical effects such as additive blended layers for particles, which is where the not-very-pixely sky gradient comes from. Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Re: yet another platformer game (sorry!)

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:04:39 am
Why is the sun so blocky and uneven?
Besides the gradient sky and sun, this is really cool, looking forward to seeing more!

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:15:20 pm
Do me a favour, make at least one level for us to play. This is great, though seeing a squid in there would be a lot better.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:10:54 pm
Looks really nice. The bird has a lot of character!

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:55:28 am
I like this in general. Though I would like to see it 1:1. Also, the rocks (the whole island) are a little noisy.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 03:47:16 am
The colors and textures of the vegetation in combination with the rocks remind me of a beautiful book that I owned, one about dinosaurs.  I love the clouds as well.  I'm excited to see more.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 04:02:41 am
Love what you got so far.

I dig the gradient. It's separated from the actual pixel art graphics layers in the right way. It's when you start doing things like blurring and rotating pixel art that there comes to be an uneasy medium conflict.

The water texturing is a bit weak.

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 11:46:57 am
I like the char design overall, and the pixel placement seems to have alot of care taken... but then its thrown onto a poorly layed out background that has an auto gradient. "Ewe"

Then I went to check the color count and realized you jpeg'd it as well.
I know you were probably in a hurry to show off this piece, and with good reason. But please take care, even when submitting wips... a solid background color would have sufficed and remember you can always submit piece at full resolution. The forum can take care of zooming in just fine.  Just mention what zoom level you plan on displaying your pic.

I would l normally look at this and say wow who is this guy hes got talent. But at the moment It makes me feel like the picture had been ripped from another Artist and some random guy is claiming this art to be his own but photoshopping in some extra stuff.
I'm not accusing you of doing so, it just leaves that kind of taste in my mouth.
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 12:14:12 pm
Then I went to check the color count and realized you jpeg'd it as well.
I know you were probably in a hurry to show off this piece, and with good reason. But please take care, even when submitting wips... a solid background color would have sufficed and remember you can always submit piece at full resolution. The forum can take care of zooming in just fine.  Just mention what zoom level you plan on displaying your pic.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using JPEG for a work like this, and there is nothing wrong with the resolution.

I think the work is really awesome, I like seeing pixel art mixed well with non-pixel art effects.