AuthorTopic: return to samus  (Read 4234 times)

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

return to samus

on: December 26, 2010, 07:11:06 pm
EDIT:

submitted to pixeljoint, awaiting approval.  Thanks for the help everyone :]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all, i might've brought this back a while ago, reworking some stuff at this point.

crits?  One i've gotten is that the lighting doesn't make sense, another, which i'm currently trying to fix was the posture making samus "lean backwards"

And although they technically work, i'm not too satisfied with the color scheme as it seems very saturated.   The blue can, and probably will get kicked out as well.  Any thoughts on how to remove the banding?

thanks everyone!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:39:39 am by circuscommando »
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Re: return to samus

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:54:51 am
personally I feel its too rough. Smooth out some of the shading and try to use less dithering. If you want a good idea on how to get the shading right, try looking at some of the pixel work from Super Metroid.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:39:37 pm
I like the bent knee on the second pose makes him look more ready for action.  I made you an edit to show some things that could help you.

I wouldn't try to draw the face inside the helmet, the sprite is too small for that. I think you need to simplify it and get the forms down before you start adding in details. Personally, I don't like dithering at this size, it just makes it look messy. I assume the gun is being charged to fire, so the light coming from it would be much brighter and it would show on the armor around it. Take out that part on the right elbow where there are two different parts connecting the arm. It looks kind of messy, you should just combined them to make one part. Are you using a reference? If so, post the link on the thread. If not, get one. :P

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:21:07 pm
yeah, the first part of her i made was the top few pixels for a Samus Navigation set linka

my two reference pics:

numbah 1
numbah 2

he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline Blacklight_Studios

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:33:03 pm
I like the bent knee on the second pose makes him look more ready for action.  I made you an edit to show some things that could help you.

Finally, someplace on this forum where i'd be of some actual help!  :D

Look here:

the knee's little "spine" at the end is connected to the shin plates of the armor, so they would stick out when the knee is bent.

What is the green thing at the back of the knee? all that's back there is the black connective... Whatever you'd call it, lol... so that can be removed.

on the Varia suit upgrade, there is a little bit of a "spine" attached to the forearm at the elbow.

finally, also on the Varia suit, the inside of the thighs keeps the lighter, yellow color of the standard power suit.

Everything else looks fine.  :)

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:21:20 am
did some edits:
he hobbles and hobbles.