AuthorTopic: MKScorpion  (Read 6933 times)

Offline teej

• View Profile

MKScorpion

on: April 13, 2006, 07:05:27 am
a large scaled figure pixel

i didnt used much dithering here.
ill now accept C&c

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: MKScorpion

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:10:48 am
Good work.  I am just wondering what this is from.  I have no idea.  I think that you should smooth out some outlines. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:43:19 am
Good work. The color of the skin etc.. its good, the yellow color i no like very much, and the blue color for pants is good.

About the design i think is all good , except the face, i think is a little "spheric" and a little small

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:36:59 am
The first thing that struck me when I saw this was how bland it looks, despite being so well made and detailed... So I threw it in Photoshop and upped the contrast a bunch and saved it with 20 less colors than the original. It needs saturation! Normally I don't mind pale pieces, but this is Mortal Kombat we're talking about! This is how the Photoshopped version came out.

Don't you think that looks better? You could easily drop 15+ colors from that, too, with some manual color replacing. 60+ colors is seriously... far too much, for anything involving pixel art. Especially a piece with so few basic colors, like this (it's got skin, black and yellow, a small sprite of the same character could easily do with 10 colors for the whole piece).

Anyway, colors and contrast aside, I think it looks great. The face looks very unfinished compared to the rest of the piece, and the outlines could do with some softening and/or AA. Great job.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 09:57:44 am
Great
I really like the shading style
like the glowing edges.

some places need a cleanup
and i think your shading on the clothes are wrong

but afterall not bad for such a large piece

Offline JacobRyan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 01:22:58 pm
I know I'm really in no position to give C/C seeing as I've only posted one piece, but I fiddled with version Rox posted and you can easily get it to around 30 colors manually.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 04:28:59 pm
FATALITY!!

18 colours including transparency. I merged some of the yellows and the skincolours, with a nice ramp from yellow to orange to purpleish red that's not that hard. Also with the colours you have you could aa this MUCH nicer and also some dither like on the belt would not hurt on the rest of the cloth.

I challenge Helm to reduce it to 16!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 06:09:16 pm
pwnt with 9 cullas.

actually all i did as greyscale it.
alexander

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 06:53:41 pm
Very well done. The fwd leg has an odd looking knee, but that may just be my lack of anatomical knowledge. The whole piece looks like its outlines could be a bit more smooth...I see some sharp edges in odd places, like on the feet and legs. Other than that and a few other things that look amiss, this is really good or such a large piece.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 10:02:58 pm
I made a quick edit to try and round off some of those edges.

Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.