AuthorTopic: FFT spritework  (Read 20837 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: FFT spritework

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 04:10:11 pm
But that's the thing, you don't have to be certain or not certain about a nose in FFT because we're not discussing putting noses in FFT, it's an impossibility. FFT has been released, and it's out there and it's done and it exists and it doesn't have noses and we will all live with that. Even if you hack the iso of the game and you put in portraits with noses, you haven't influenced FFT's development in any way. It's a post facto hack, a commentary on something that has absolutely happened and you were not part of.

So, if you're not making anything related to FFT in anything but spirit, do you think 'no noses' is important for the spirit of FFT? I doubt it.

What I'm roundaboutly getting to and I'm sorry if I'm becoming an annoying pedant, is that there's a certain 'sprite editor's mentality' that sometimes I see on people that come in here from spriting communities, which leads them down, not exactly wrong (who's to say?), but certainly unproductive artistically, paths. Here's a few words you might want to reconsider from that spriter vocab:

base  -- in art work, there are no bases. You don't start with somebody else's work as a patron, you roll up your sleeves and you risk it and you put your own heart on the line.

custom -- in art work, everything is custom. The word has no meaning in the real world.

style - in art work style is not something you chase, it's something other people tell you somehow you have achieved. I still don't know what my own 'style' is and I disregard this line of thinking completely and just make my artwork.

credit -- you don't have to tell anyone to give you credit for your work because the credit is in that you made your art and it made you a better person. The pettier the spriter community, the more drama there is about who made what alteration and in which way to the original artwork. Actual artists - well most of them - make stuff and move on. Make stuff. Move on. Make stuff. Move on.

Offline Kagebunji

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 04:44:41 pm
Heh, I surely will learn a lot here. So, you since we hack FFT, we can put in whatever art we want, aye? I mean mostly noses right now. And I will surely not falter now, you can be harsh, but I can take a crit, so it is fine. I want to improve, and this is the best site for this.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 05:28:42 pm
Yes -- noses, antlers, space men, human situations and actual life interest, who is stopping you? Or you can just make your own game completely.

Offline sakket

• poop'n
    • View Profile
    • my yootoob

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 05:56:27 pm
Yes -- noses, antlers, space men, human situations and actual life interest, who is stopping you? Or you can just make your own game completely.
I have to agree here. There are so many things you can do with the same application of skills that are more profitable. Using the game (and modifying it) to advance your skills is fine and good but you shouldn't let yourself be content with sticking with just one game.
littleroller.blogspot.com

Offline Kagebunji

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36:36 pm
Hah, I understand it, but I wonder how folks at FFH will react to that. When I inserted your portrait of Titan into FFT, Helm, they thought it was either a great joke, or a serious, ugly portrait. It IS an amazing portrait, but people aren't ready for such drastic changes on there, I will have to get them used to it step by step.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:56 pm
Then you have tho ask yourself whether it is worth to potentially holding back your artistic growth for the sake of other.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 10:53:55 pm
No! No noses in FFH! I understand some never got over the missing noses to this day.
I fully agree with this:
But that's the thing, you don't have to be certain or not certain about a nose in FFT because we're not discussing putting noses in FFT, it's an impossibility. FFT has been released, and it's out there and it's done and it exists and it doesn't have noses and we will all live with that. Even if you hack the iso of the game and you put in portraits with noses, you haven't influenced FFT's development in any way. It's a post facto hack, a commentary on something that has absolutely happened and you were not part of.

Hello Kagebunji

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 11:47:46 pm
I doubt if anyone on this forum didn't start out mimicking someone elses style. If that's what he want's to do then so what? Eventually he'll develop his own style.

I remember the no-nose anime style from Ogre Battle on the snes ( good game ). Probably the same artist.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:56:04 am
Well, it's for a project, right? I feel I need some kind of clarification there. I mean, if it's for a project there is actual merit in mimicking style; if the goal is to modify the game in a way that tricks the player into feeling as though the original developers made the modifications, then mimicking the original style is a means to achieve it.

If you're making art just for your own sake, though, I'll agree with everything helm said. Well, I don't have anything personal against mimicking other people's style as a pasttime, 'dreaming other peoples' dreams' to me is an enjoyable way to expand your horizons. It's very sad, though, if that becomes the only focus of your art, but since you're saying you wanna make original art, I'm cool. Oh, and you've got a nice attitude, it's pleasant to have you around, kagebunji, do keep around ' U '
' _ '

Offline Kagebunji

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 06:34:39 pm
For now I will try to do potraits and sprites from scratch, but mimicking the FFT style, yes. Later I want to move to something bigger, something similiar to Smash doing his Ramza art. I will read the tutorials this weekeend and try to learn as much as I can. Thanks guys.