AuthorTopic: Payment  (Read 17391 times)

Offline Osteel

• View Profile

Payment

on: December 15, 2010, 07:27:49 pm
Hello artists!

I had actually wrote a thread about this before, but once again I'm asking after a little research. I want to ask what you would want, if you were hired to do a job in creating isometric tiles. The quality of these tiles are similar to A2:Grimoire of the Rift, which you can see here.

With that in mind, which three options would you specifically demand?

1. Paid per hour, and how much?
    2. Paid per tile, and how much?
    3. Assuming the game was near complete, and confident it would be, would you rather share earnings?

So let me know what you would really ask for when in this hypothetical situation, based on the quality of the tiles and on your own personal experience. Also for you interest, this is a game that is a Flash game being hosted online, though not an MMO or multiplayer game.

Thanks guys!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:01:36 pm by Osteel »

Offline sakket

• poop'n
    • View Profile
    • my yootoob

Re: Payment

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:45:04 pm
if it were a flash game or something similar getting ad revenue I'd probably go with a percentage of the profits, otherwise probably a fair price per tile and perhaps a verbal contract to keep me in the loop if it turns into a huge success. :D

EDIT; also depends heavily on if I can work well with the project director.
littleroller.blogspot.com

Offline Osteel

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:02:26 pm
Thanks for the reply. The hypothetical game here is a Flash game yes. Have you ever done a job where you were paid for tile, or in your opinion, what would you charge if you went with that approach over shared equity?

Offline sakket

• poop'n
    • View Profile
    • my yootoob

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:35:22 pm
Thanks for the reply. The hypothetical game here is a Flash game yes. Have you ever done a job where you were paid for tile, or in your opinion, what would you charge if you went with that approach over shared equity?
goodness, well my experience is limited to a few projects (im an animator not so much pixel artist so my situation might be a little different) but granted a simple but well-marketed game can bring in over $1k, I'm usually content with perhaps 20 dollars per reasonable unit of contribution, but I'm notorious for underselling myself.

littleroller.blogspot.com

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:51:04 pm
1. $8-10 per hour
2. $ 10 per unique tile ( some tiles are edited from others and may be priced lower)
3. I would prefer hourly payment and a low percentage of the earnings ( as opposed to splitting 50/50)

Offline Osteel

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19:01 pm
Thanks for that Ryumaru.

For an isometric game that required, lets say 150-200 unique tiles. How long would you estimate it would take assuming you worked on it as a job?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:18:57 am
I've never worked on a pixel project full time but if I were to work say, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week It would probably take 2 weeks to complete 150-200 tiles.

Offline Osteel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:20 pm
Two weeks, that's amazing. Assuming we're not looking for industry standards and just nice pixel art as seen in this image here:

What would be estimated costs? I found this online, so credit to whoever made it!  :lol:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 06:19:19 pm
I think 2 weeks would be slow if anything really, depending on how big the tiles are.

8 hours * 10 days = 80 hours
200 tiles / 80 = 2.5 tiles per hour

That would be 20 tiles per day. Which really is not that much if you are working fulltime.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Osteel

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:46 pm
Wow, that's really short timing. Maybe 200 tiles is far less than what you could expect for a simple tactical RPG? In terms of tile size, I think we're looking for something like this: