AuthorTopic: Final Fantasy VI portraits [update]  (Read 23615 times)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Final Fantasy VI portraits [update]

on: December 14, 2010, 07:40:01 am
Hello Pixelation. Took me a minute to take in the beauty here....
Thought I'd post since I've been working on some pixel art myself recently.
____________________________I did all of them but Smash, also a member here and of FFHacktics.com, touched up the one of the empire soldier;  so I can't claim it 100%...
I'm Lijj from site mentioned above. I've done a lot of sprites for FFT since I discovered that site about 6 months ago. I just discovered this site and I'm blown away by some of the talent I see. I also have more of these but don't want to over-post.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:09:28 pm by |||| »

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Re: Final Fantasy VI portrait remakes

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:40:09 pm
Those pixels are nice. The old man's head tilt seems a bit uncomfortable and the first girls (I'm supposing is Terra) face looks a bit chunky

Offline Blacklight_Studios

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:37:22 pm
The blonde girl... the third one down... Her neck looks a little too long, IMO. Could just be the shading, though. Otherwise, very nice pixelling job!

@Chrispy: The old man looks fine, if you think of his head leaning back a little, as well as to the side. Think about it this way: if his head was strictly tilted to the side, there would be more shading to the forward side of his face (the one facing the audience), wouldn't there?

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:00:41 am
I think I recognize Realm, Strago and Celes. The soldier doesn't look familiar but I haven't played ff6 in ages.

A few areas where you could improve:

1. Work on a more neutral background color.

When I put your sprites against a more neutral color they look very faded and dull ( or at least they do to me ). This is likely because you didn't notice it working on a super dark background.

2. Lots of unclear detail especially on the clothing. Strago's cape for instance, he's got some kind of reflection on his lapel, or is it a design of some kind? I can't really tell. Or in back of Realms neck, is that hair or part of her clothes? Also a problem with some of the face detail like Strago's eyes.

3. Celes neck is curved and unnaturally long.

4. The soldiers shoulders are uneven.

Still pretty good work, with some basic pixeling knowhow from this site you should be fine.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:38 pm

un-needed post
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:01:15 am by |||| »

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:10:56 pm
Here's what i see:
Overall, head sizes are inconsistent.  This may be only be visible when the portraits are strung together.

Celes
Ear is too low.
Neck is too long, and bent strangely.
Torso is at roughly 3/4 view, head is in profile.  Certainly possible, but a bit odd, particularly with the neck.
Hair is good.
Inside edge of the nose and mouth should come into the face 1 more pixel.  Nostrils might be good too.

Soldier
Mostly good.
Head and shoulders are turned to our right, but the collar is centered directly at the viewer.  It should angle.

Relm
A center line through the nose and mouth doesn't match the profile of the cheek and jaw.  Or maybe it's the line of the cheek versus the near line of the jaw?  Something in the perspective is just off a bit.  Can't put my finger on it.
Pose is a bit of a neck-breaker, but not too bad.  There's no real transition from the jaw to the neck, maybe the neck is a bit small?

Strago
A bit noisy, but mostly good.
Neck is a lollipop stick.

Locke
Mostly good.
The nostrils need work.
The collar looks like it is off-center.  One edge sits halfway under the jaw, one edge curves in front of the face.  Ok if he is wearing the coat pulled to one side, or the collar is meant to be larger on one side than another, but this isn't clear from the image.

Terra
Overall very nice
Hair is very nice
Bridge of the nose is a bit high, but it's a minor crit

Edgar
Hair and costume are fine
Face is a bit basic
Could use a stronger jawline

So overall, necks and collars need work.  Noses in profile need work.  The rest is rather good.
Thanks for posting these.

Tourist

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:25 pm
I decided to do an edit to point some things out. Everything was going fine until I realized Strago is really an old geezer with a bare chest and a mohawk :wah: Hard to imagine I played FF6 for years and didn't realize this.

11 colors ( I think )

In no way am I implying the above edit is ideal. I had to stop myself halfway because of time constraints. It still needs more work on the hair, beard, neck area, eyes ( I could mess with those eyes for days trying to get them right ), the costume and the colors need to be reworked a lot too.

The points I wanted to illustrate are:

1. Clarity, first and foremost. If you look at your version it is far less clear. Cramming all that detail into such a small area only makes things more confusing. You put dots here and there where you know there should be some detail but the problem is noone can really tell the difference when looking at it. Instead they see something vague distracting their attention from the main recognizable shapes. Keep it simple and clean.

2. Color picking. This is not my strong point but I know when I see some bad color picking. For instance Realm's hair. You have a dull brownish grey near a fairly saturated yellow. This looks ecky :blind:

Then you put two very similar colors together. Like Strago's face where you have 3 very similar shades of redish brown lumped together. When you do that they blend together to create a large brown area which doesn't look right. Way too thick and confusing.

3. FF6 portraits are actually pretty crappy :lol:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 11:20:44 am
I'd like to mention that you won't be learning much if you're trying to keep to style that is reverse-engineered. The FF6 portraits are pixel versions of pretty artistic and stylized real life pieces drawn by that famous Japanese illustrator connected to the series. They're not realistic nor do they try to be. The pixel versions are bad pixel art, you won't learn good pixel art from mimicking them.

In all your pieces in this thread I see the signs of a potentially problematic approach to learning art: little fundamental knowledge, instead slavish attention to how a game did its art. Here's what's connecting you as an artist with the person that drew the original watercolor illustrations: fundamental knowledge on how art is made. If you don't go that route, you will never reach him. Even if you at some point are capable of 100% mimicking his style, you will not reach him as he'll have moved onwards through fundamental practice instead.

If you want my critique, and it's a hard pill to swallow, I know: Stop mimicking the end result and start learning the common throughout all artistry fundamental practice. Learn how to draw, not how to mimic pixels of something that was once drawn.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:44:57 pm
Well Helm the whole reason I'm re-doing these is because it was decided that the original portraits suck for the reason that they took Yoshitaka Amano's watercolor or gouche works and tried to pixelize them. So I'm trying to come up with something different. I'm trying to make them in a style(true, though not Amano's) so they all match; which is hard for me. And I'm trying to give them depth.. shading etc. Not flat watercolor style. I haven't even used a single reference making these other than the little sprite itself so I'm not mimicking anything.
I actually quite dislike my Strago after seeing Evil Eye's haha. Only it's shape is a lot like the original; then, so is Terra's... So hopefully I can use that of course shaded a little more on the hair etc.
Thanks for the crits guys... currently trying to acknowledge them and apply changes.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 12:35:04 am

Here's Mog! I might completely re-do Celes again now...