AuthorTopic: Gurklike  (Read 351 times)

Offline Adam

• Some everyday Robin Hood guy.
    • View Profile
    • Ádámé - mostly hungarian

Gurklike

on: April 24, 2022, 02:22:52 pm
I've been replaying the Gurk games recently, and got inspired to design something similar. Started with EGA, but then switched to the C64 colors. Here is what I have now. Right now I am still motivated to try and make a game out of it.

I introduced some new variations of the already existing tiles for the overland map, some new overlays for roads and multiple tile elements.
I am not sure about the water tiles. Any ideas to make them look better?

For the encounters, I thought that small vignettes would look much more interesting then the simple icons of a creature. Originally went with free drawings but then stumbled upon a screenshot of the Wolf Rock encouter in Magic Candle and fell in love with the concept.

I placed the combats on full pic maps instead of tiled ones. Added some new elements like dynamic starting positions, combat area limitations and map assets.

Nice. Now do the whole thing with the EGA palette!

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Re: Gurklike

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 04:56:08 pm
It's been a while, Adam! Glad to see you're here and still pixellin'.

About your piece, everything looks lovely. Seeing from how detailed your mountains are, I think the sea tiles should receive the same treatment. I'm thinking the waves should go in the direction of the coast, but if you'll have more than just a coast on the east side, then you really need something more generic, perhaps using diagonals, kind of like:

...but you will make it much better, I'm sure.

I did round some corners in the coastline, and I'm not sure it's possible, but you could totally ignore those.

Perhaps the sea should be darker overall?