AuthorTopic: Looking for some C&C on this  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Diminished

• View Profile

Looking for some C&C on this

on: December 12, 2010, 02:31:11 pm
Hey, what's up? I'm not too good at shading, so I figured I would post my rough attempt  at it and see what you guys think I need to improve. I saw this animal in Breath of Fire IV and thought it was funny looking, so I wanted to try and draw my own.

Fire away. Haha.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Looking for some C&C on this

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:58:29 pm
Leg seems to be shaded wrong.

Offline Diminished

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:17:15 am
Leg seems to be shaded wrong.

Yeah, I figured that most, if not all of my shading was off, haha. Could you possibly be more specific? Is it the colors I used, the amount of shading, the pattern?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Offline Gromit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:09:13 am
It shows up as [image] for me, I have to quote you to get the link out of it.

If this is still rough I won't mention the outlines too much but if you were trying to do lineweight the dark areas should be thicker and lighter areas thinner. Your shading is just inconsistent, pick a direction for the light source and stick with it.

I'm not really very good with colour so I'll let someone else advise you on that

Offline Diminished

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:41:30 pm
It shows up as [image] for me, I have to quote you to get the link out of it.

If this is still rough I won't mention the outlines too much but if you were trying to do lineweight the dark areas should be thicker and lighter areas thinner. Your shading is just inconsistent, pick a direction for the light source and stick with it.

I'm not really very good with colour so I'll let someone else advise you on that

Yeah, I don't know why, but a lot of pictures show up as just a box with that paper icon inside for me. I usually have to right click and open it in a new window for it to display the picture. Not sure why.

I messed with it a bit. I got rid of the really bright color on the leg, and just made more dark areas overall. Also screwed with the antlers a bit so they look more highlighted on the left side. My light source is supposed to be from the top left. The first attempt is on the left and the edited one is on the right. Does it look any better?

About the outlines, I was trying to make them not as noticeable by using different shades of the color they're near. I think the antlers show that now more than the rest of the body, so I know that's a color problem now. Hopefully I can get some more comments. Thanks for the reply, dude.

Offline ChadHachey

• Send more paramedics
    • View Profile
    • PixelJoint

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:22:58 pm
None of your images work for me. Odd.

Offline Diminished

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 07:30:17 pm
None of your images work for me. Odd.

Yeah, I don't know why. Try right clicking and opening the image in a new window. Or if that doesn't work, quote the post that has the image in it and look for the URL inside the "img" tags.

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 12:40:36 am
You're linking to the webpage that has the image on it, not the image itself.  Try right-clicking on the image and choosing "Copy Image Address" or "Copy Image URL," then pasting that within the img tags.  Like this:

Offline Diminished

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:01:42 am
Oh man, I wish I knew that sooner haha. Thanks McClane.

So, is my second attempt an improvement at all? What else should I mess with? Anybody?