AuthorTopic: Critique first sprite  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Brotha_C

• View Profile

Critique first sprite

on: December 22, 2010, 02:48:23 am
This was my first sprite and I would very much like to know what I did right and what I did wrong on it. It is _sort_ of in the style of FF6 sprites (uses 16 colours, 16x24 pixels) but I did not follow the style exactly. I made one that is _supposed_ to be wearing a scarf (don't know if anyone can tell  ;) ) and one without it. I did this because I didn't know if the scarf detracted from the overall image, however I really liked the idea of having one.
Comments would be greatly appreciated. ;D

(With scarf)
(Without scarf)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:59:49 am by Brotha_C »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Critique first sprite

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:57:33 am
You don't have to post larger versions, this forum allows you to click on an image to zoom in.

A common problem when people make these sprites is that they don't get the view right. They make the legs and arms too long so it looks like your viewing them from the front instead of the top.

Move the midsection + arms up 1 pixel. Move the feet up 2 pixels. It will look a lot more like a top-down view rather then a straight on view.

Offline Brotha_C

• View Profile

Re: Critique first sprite

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:23:06 pm
Thanks for the reply. I think I know what you mean about the perspective- here's an attempt at a fix.

I'd like to know someone's thoughts on whether I should keep the scarf or not.
Thanks for the help!  :)

Edit: err, sorry about the two black pixels to the right of his hand. Didn't mean for that to be there.  :blind:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:25:15 pm by Brotha_C »