AuthorTopic: Demo Portrait (WIP) Update [4/13/2006]  (Read 12235 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Demo portrait (WIP)

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 05:05:43 pm
I wouldnt say that about demoscene pieces, or atleast the ones I enjoy.Mainly because of the strange dithering patterns and oddly shaped speculars, the complicated hueshifts in the palletes.

it's gonna turn out looking fine, it already does. but I just would never want to do something even reasembling that, I zoom in in some areas like the nose and I just see the same exact patterns I would expect from an airbrush. From my perspective what makes demoscene fun, is that even when there's smooth faces being done the artists always chose strange shapes to represent the light.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/baybaybom/cyclone-cindy_and_bert.png http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/baybaybom/cyclone-clubbing.png http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/baybaybom/cyclone-lonely_intelligence.png it looking like a CG is not a good thing, not as far as I'm concerned. I belive if you're going into this kind of feat it should express a very personal view of how light behaves, not what photoshop's automated tools would reflect. The thing that gets me the most is that I dont see Dhaos anywhere in that pic, I know the kind of shading he likes to do, that girl looks completly dry, plastic and vacant. I dont see any real interest in the subject expressed in that pic.

But ok, maybe he decided to change subject, but this just looks like a dead(on?) copy of smooth cg light patterns, it all just makes me think that he just feels like he somehow just HAS to put this chore on himself, as if it was some kind of graduation ritual, and I just dont think anyone should put that kind of weigh on themselves, unless they're sure it's worth it for them.

you know why I posted here? because just sitting there and watching how someone pixels something like this...it reminds me of all those drug advertising "friends dont let friends........" I would've never imagined he could actually be having fun. I would feel bad about myself if I didnt say anything, and I know Dhaos so I think he'll understand.

I said what I thought, so I'm trough with what I wanted to do, I completly respect Dhaos so if he still feels like he has to do this and (belive it or not) is having fun, then forget about what I said.

what is the big deal anyway, why do you all have to care so much? Dhaos got the point, why am I explaining myself?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 09:23:49 pm by Camus »

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 05:17:59 pm
What is demoscene?
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 05:47:27 pm
I might have dismissed you're point a little rashly there, Camus, so I feel I have to say that I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I also prefer the demoscene pieces that are higher on the whole 'computer aesthetic' thing (if you want to call it that.. dunno what the proper terminology is), and so also really dig works like the cyclone piece you presented.

From the technical side of things, though, Dhaos' pic totally blows my mind. Knowing that each pixel was hand placed, the fact that it looks so close to airbrushed only adds to my admiration of it. If this piece upped the CA a bit, though (maybe through palette unification, or color restriction, some hue shifting, whatever) it would truly be badass. Then again, that would require an INSANE amount of work ('cause you'd practically have to start over...) and it might just ruin that whole 'admiration of effort/patience' thing that's so impressing me right now.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 06:03:40 pm
Although I'm probably the one mostly responsible for talks of CA and hue shifts and palette unifications and the like I'd like to say that sometimes a smooth airbrushed-looking face is a smooth airbrushed-looking face. not everything needs to scream 'look at me! I'm pixel art! made of pixels! rock!' to be good pixel art. I wouldn't want me personal biases about art painting the community feeling of what makes worthwhile high-scale/demoscene pixel art. If someone wants to make it difficult for himself and make something that looks airbrushed by hand, then that's awesome and good luck and fortitude to him. Camus, you have every right to question motives and I agree with a lot you say, but there's style advice, and there's technique critique. We mainly do the latter here, so whereas your 'drop it' bit is justified as an opinion, Dhaos is more looking for 'am I doing what I'm trying to do right, here?' type of replies.

Dhaos, your darkest flesh shade is not dark enough. one of the demoscene stuff I had to learn is that they use a lot more close-to-black shades than we use in sprite art because they have bigger surfaces to gradient and because subtlety is key in big-screen art. Not everything needs to jump out at you. So add a few more darker shades and aa around the eye and stuff with it.

The purple in the eye edge is overkill I think.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 06:33:19 pm
On the other hand, i think this piece would benefit a great deal from a more interesting palette.  This is very nice, but it lacks a certain life that i personally think comes only from mixing and bending light and hue.  I would continue to advocate for at least a better color in the shadows than brown (you could pull a Rembrandt and put in a dark green, which would really throw some life into her.

Basically i chose a blueish green because the overall tone of the piece had been red/orange.  YOu may want to use a different color, but this is color theory at its most basic; complementary colors used near each other will make a piece more dramatic.  it also works for atmospheric perspective if this piece were outside, but something tells me its indoors and so the color of the air is actually the color of the lgihtsource, which is why things tend to look more interesting outside than they do in a windowless room

im rambling.  Basically, this is a technically good piece, but it feels lifeless.  Having another color will probably help this, though which color you pick is more or less up to you (basic color theory is knowing how to use the rules, advanced color theory is knowing when to break them)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 07:36:15 pm
*bows*

this piece looks 10 times better know, fix the face and the nose and this would look gasmic :3
also the neck is kinda weird i think, it would look better if it had shoulders in it i think..
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 08:02:48 pm
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 08:26:29 pm
@GOODNIGHTdestroyer: http://gfxzone.planet-d.net/frames.html check the 2d galleries of cyclone, made, cougar, and typhoon. They will give a great idea about what demoscene art is all about. In a nutshell its an artsy form of pixel art, it (usually) has no purpose other than being a work of art. Like a painting for example...but with pixels. Most demo pieces try to be very dynamic and quite abstract at times. It rocks though, you can learn alot from studying it ^_^.

@everybody else: I'm in the middle of my next edit so you'll get nice responses + new art then =D

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 08:29:05 pm

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 09:23:17 pm
@GOODNIGHTdestroyer: http://gfxzone.planet-d.net/frames.html check the 2d galleries of cyclone, made, cougar, and typhoon. They will give a great idea about what demoscene art is all about. In a nutshell its an artsy form of pixel art, it (usually) has no purpose other than being a work of art. Like a painting for example...but with pixels. Most demo pieces try to be very dynamic and quite abstract at times. It rocks though, you can learn alot from studying it ^_^.

@everybody else: I'm in the middle of my next edit so you'll get nice responses + new art then =D

check the artist 'made' aswell.
thats where i get my inspiration from, and where i picked up some tricks for my latest colouring.

just look around in those gallerys.

looks good. but the colours are tooo vibrant for me.
skin is more paler and washed out. even tan skin isnt that 'plasticy'

throw whiter shades into the eye. on the side of the cheek, the colour transition from medium to shadow isnt the greatest. you can easily pick out the individual shades. in order to mask it, you need to follow a more similar curve to the edge of the cheek (on the left). you have it more rounded and horizontal while your first few shades are more vertical. the difference in angle causes distraction to your eye. you need to slowly 'transform' the curve with every new shade. it does not need to be the same, but close and similar. some of the shades could be used more than just AA, this will help too to 'loose' the noticableness. throw in a few dither specicles here and there...
just some thought.
if you are confused perhaps i can make an edit