AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Stuff  (Read 4913 times)

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

[WIP] RPG Stuff

on: December 05, 2010, 07:20:25 pm
Heya!
I'm trying to make some things for a RPG mockup, and I'd like to have some critics on this. For now it's just grass, a tree and a character:

Two versions just for the grass colors, I'm not really sure which ones I should use.

Here's an older version for the tree (I was told this one was better, but I'm not really sure):

I'm pretty satisfied with what I got with the grass tile (I could eventually add some grass tiles, too), but I'm really not so sure about the tree... I read a lot of stuff on trees (st0ven's topic helped a lot, thanks!) and I understand how it works, but still I'm not satisfied with this tree... Any advice/edit would be really appreciated, as I don't really want to work on other tiles before this tree looks good enough!

Offline 7H0R

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Stuff

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
The tree looks okay, except some things I noticed that could be addressed:

-The tree trunk, other than the bottom where the roots are, looks very smooth. Trees aren't naturally that smooth, and it looks sort of like the tree is make of plastic.
-The tree leaves are detailed well, but the grass is also very detailed. I think that the tree leaves should be more detailed than the background grass, to draw more attention to the tree, and less attention to the grass. The background just looks like it has a lot going on in it.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I am still learning too, but that's just my observations  :)

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:49:02 pm
Thanks, you're actually very right and I tried to make changes!

Added some details on the trunk (not sure if that's enough/too much though), added a color to have some stronger highlights on the leaves, and changed the leaves part, so that it looks a little more natural (?).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:51:18 pm by MicKo »

Offline WizKid

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:51:39 pm
Maybe make the grass darker? so the tree pops more, just a suggestions. :hehe:

Offline Gromit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:13:37 am
I like this, the guy reminds me of a slightly overweight Gordon Freeman.

The new tree is really a massive improvement over the old one I think. The colours you're using are really killing it though in my opinion and make it all look really flat. I recoloured the tree and ended up dropping the top highlight of the leaves. I also got the colour count down a bit too in the process but you could go even further with that.

Oh and you can ignore the sprite edit I did if you want.

Hope that helped.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:16:23 am by Gromit »

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:15:35 pm
Thanks, your edit helped a lot!

Your edit on the char is great too, I can't really see anything wrong with it. Now, I'm using the same blue for the character and the tree, but I'm not sure if that's a good choice...

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help! :D

EDIT : Okay, started working on some ground parts and walking animation for the character. Still lot of work needed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:15:03 pm by MicKo »

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 08:21:36 pm
Your little guy has a shadow, but the tree has no shadow.  It ends up looking like a bushy part of the ground.  Needs a shadow, IMO.

Offline mrblu

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:10:50 am
Wiggle those hips.  Maybe have the arms overlap with his torso in the front or even underlap in the back.  He looks like he's skiing :D