AuthorTopic: Texturing help + critique needed  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Re: Texturing help + critique needed

Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 10:41:14 pm
Sorry, gotta be a gravestone, this is one part of the composition, the rest will hopefully make it more readable if that's a big problem.

Shape shouldn't define textures, or rather we should be able to break the mould (lol) that ties any shape to a material.

Yeah I'll work those highlights and get cracking on the rest of the scene!
<3 programming and pixels

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:43 pm
Shape shouldn't define textures, or rather we should be able to break the mould (lol) that ties any shape to a material.
They don't define textures, but pieces have more than "textures do this" and "shapes do this." It all has to come together to fulfill a specific purpose, and the shape is what's fighting this piece the whole way. It's not uncommon for humans to relate shapes to specific purposes.

However if you have to maintain a grave shape then good luck to you. Is it impossible? Probably not, but you're definitely going to have to fight hard against the predisposition.

Aside from that I think the most glaring problem is that your textures are coming off as noisy, or "dithery" even though there isn't any immediate dithering patterns. For example, the line going up the interior of the right side does it. This fights what our minds have come to expect of gelatin because it's such a smooth texture, and dithering causes the opposite effect. Also, something important you need here is some high contrast highlights. Think of a glassy, or wet surface. That's how gelatin reacts to light, so it won't hurt to have some more dramatic highlighting. I can't say I know what's going on with the patterns going on inside(or on the front) of the gelatin. Is it needed? Because it doesn't seem to add much to what you're hoping to accomplish and in my opinion only complicates matters further.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:53:27 pm by Dusty »

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 07:57:33 pm
Good points Dusty, thank you - sorry if I seemed snappy on my comment, wasn't intended if it came across that way! I'll work on smooth-ing it up and pumping the highlights, I'll have them move more to help emphasise that they are highlights too. The rest of the scene should hopefully help enforce the dessert-like feel.

The gravestone I think will end up just as having been a good practice, in the picture there will be multiple and they will have to be smaller so I'll be redrawing them.

Here is a character I've been working on for the scene, the 'Kandyman' from Liquorice Allsorts sweets. I'll be using his size for scaling reference.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 07:59:29 pm by Cilein »
<3 programming and pixels