AuthorTopic: Tzigla Rocks!!!  (Read 75895 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Tzigla Rocks!!! (so do hex collabs)

Reply #110 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:54 pm
To anyone who might be interested.

I love Tzigla, it is a cool system and evilchelu and dira have put an assload of work into it. Now the question I am having is why is no one participating in the pixel collab one? Because it is not Hex? Why? let us know. It does not help the people involved staying motivated when no one uses their stuff?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:35:50 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Re: Tzigla Rocks!!!

Reply #111 on: January 27, 2011, 01:54:32 am
I really like this project and how much you have worked for it please continue doing so  :) also Mathias dammit with those looong crits/ideas sometimes even i'm too lazy to read them.

I don't really know why other people including me doesn't use tzigla and that is really a shame  :mean: but i know that it would really help if you would spread out some word about tzigla i dunno if there is any topic at pixeljoint but that's a nice place to start  :) also before you ask why i don't use tzigla? i'm going to make one or two tiles soon to tzigla i hope :) i've been watching the progress till now :)

I don't have any crits/suggestions now how to make tzigla better but i do have a tiny suggestion for pixelation i think it would be really great if there would be a link to tzigla similar to that donate link cause i would really like quickly get to tzigla watch the daily progress and not always try finding a link to tzigla from my bookmarks or from this topic etc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:57:59 am by Batlorder »

Offline BrandonD

• View Profile

Re: Tzigla Rocks!!! (so do hex collabs)

Reply #112 on: January 27, 2011, 06:11:16 am
To anyone who might be interested.

I love Tzigla, it is a cool system and evilchelu and dira have put an assload of work into it. Now the question I am having is why is no one participating in the pixel collab one? Because it is not Hex? Why? let us know. It does not help the people involved staying motivated when no one uses their stuff?

I love Tzigla also, this is the first collab that's ever motivated me to get off my butt and contribute - I'd contribute more tiles but I'm working on a contract project currently... and also since this is my first collab effort I don't wanna be annoying and make a ton of tiles.

But I really do hope that this collab gets finished, I'm very excited to see the final product!

Offline Mathias

• im not real
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • mathiaspaints
    • View Profile

Reply #113 on: January 29, 2011, 01:17:12 am
How is Tzigle being exposed? How can we boost awareness?

Offline Commander Gizmo

• View Profile

Reply #114 on: January 29, 2011, 05:59:07 am
Somebody make a youtube video of quack quack coming together and write a blog post or 3 about it quick!  That should stir up some attention.  I would, except that I don't have a blog and I'm up to my chin in travel plans.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • angusdoolanart
    • View Profile

Reply #115 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:29 am
I think the reason I and possibly other people aren't as interested in this collab is because it's so disconnected from the forum. I mean there wasn't a whole lot of communication in the other threads but I could see it progressing on the forum which I'm already visiting every day and there's a sort of drive to reserve a tile when you can see them being taken. The only way I can see this being the same for Tzigla is if I had bookmarked it and were visiting it regularly but I'm not so interested in the collab that I would do that. The other thing I was thinking was that this is the Tzigla thread not the pixelation tile collab thread, so I come in here expecting talk about Tzigla rather than the collab, which again isn't particularly interesting to me so I don't read the thread, and without having the collab on my mind I probably won't be itching to participate.

I can't really say how to solve this but by taking out the human/community element the whole thing just seems less interesting.

Edit: Maybe a postbot or something which could post the comment box activity in the forum. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:42:42 am by 32 »

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #116 on: January 30, 2011, 12:11:02 am
Hey peeps! :B

Testing version deployed on staging! If all goes well, tomorrow we'll deploy on live. There are some crazy internal changes so please help us test it.

http://staging.tzigla.com

Changes in this deploy:

* thumbnails are generated when the admin approves a tile
* much nicer homepage (dedication to gizmo)
* signing in/out redirects back to the exact location you were viewing
* smaller sharing buttons
* automatically removing color profiles from tiles
* done tiles are now the exact size (since we're now removing the extra uploaded margins)
* a lot of invisible code changes that were needed so we can generate the thumbs because of stupid standards

Coming soon (most likely tomorrow):

* jump to board selector
* save full image as png/jpg
* tiles instead of activity stream when selecting an artist
* more :)
http://tzigla.com/ - collabs & exquisite corpses, y'all

Offline Mathias

• im not real
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • mathiaspaints
    • View Profile

Reply #117 on: January 30, 2011, 10:26:37 pm
Cool, a redesign!

K, so far I see only the homepage altered, so commenting only on it . . .

I design do sites, so some things come to mind. Earlier you said you guys are somewhat disadvantaged because you're not designers. So, let's see. . .

-Complete lack of flair. Bland. It's all grey. On one hand I like that it's neutral because it by default channels focus to the crazy colorful collabs, but on the other - a dull site is a dull site. This site is host to intense creativity but it's design seems to think it hosts resources for accountants to prepare tax returns. It's design style is tasteful, not having that dreaded novice vibe to it, but there's so much room for improvement!

-A strong bold masthead graphic is mandatory here. I'd do it personally if you wanted to do that. It needs to match the style of the site too, of course. And yes I'm going to boldly assert that Tzigla needs a REAL logo now. The current one is . . . yeah. Nobody likes it when I tell them their branding sucks, but if thing is going to take off it needs something better to do it with.

-The 765 content width oughta be updated to 990px, which is the modern fixed width. Your 765 width accommodates the old most-common resolution of 800x600. Target 1024x768 instead, as a minimum. 800 is obselete. Making things handheld/phone compliant is not my specialty so I don't know much about that. Giving it a fatter width will make for less vertical scrolling and give it a more contemporary feel. Remember, you're trying to attract users.

-Homepage, as I see it, is divided into 4 distinctive parts - Masthead,  Featured board/News,  Current WIP boards,  and General info, at bottom. Yet, they're all just kinda lumped together into the same grey column; not much visual priority going on. Highly functional, yes. But, not very compelling. Create some distinction. I see a much different looking site in my head for Tzigla. With an actual color scheme. I suggest a mega footer for the general info region.

-And while there is a need to promote and get users, it would be best if all the dust is settled before this thing is really trafficked hard, so that when people discover it they see the true shining wonderful attractive Tzigla. One good thing about the Tzigla name is that is searches really well. Very easy to find if searched, since such a unique word.

I want this thing to take off, just like you do. Above are some things, based on my experience, that I think may greatly improve Tzigla.

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #118 on: January 31, 2011, 06:09:52 am
Hola again pixies :crazy:

Deployed a new version on staging. We're leaving it only on staging for now so we can test things some more.

Current known bug: as admin, updating of thumbnails for the board doesn't work in opera. use safari, chrome or ff for now.

http://staging.tzigla.com

So, instead of the board selector, save full image and tiles instead of activity stream for artists we did some completely different things :D

* major thing for admins when sending back tiles!
  * admin can send a PM on tzigla
  * the artist can now see what the admin saw when it was sent back
  * this is very cool and important because the admin no longer has to send a message on facebook, twitter or pixelation, and the admin also doesn't have to manually make a screenshot anymore, wee
* option to allow max N tiles per artist per board
* we also nuke the transparency away from uploaded tiles

Offline evilchelu

• View Profile
    • github profile

Reply #119 on: January 31, 2011, 06:35:19 am
Again, thanks Mathias for the ideas and for being the only one that actually looked at the staging server :) ...sigh :'(

re: 765 content width: It's actually because the ipad is 1024x768 so this would fit just fine in a portrait ipad. And we wanted to escape having to design a special one just for that in the future :)

re: bland and boring design: Of course, we totally agree. However, as developers, the only way to have something that doesn't look totally crap is to use as few colors as possible :). Therefore, dark and the occasional yellowish highlights have resulted. Also, there was a lot of work put into thinking about UX instead of design we couldn't have done anyway.

We'd obviously love to have a design, a logo, some identity and consistency. But, that's a ton of work for a designer, and also a ton of work for us to coordinate with said designer and maybe to implement some quite big changes. Not to mention paying said designer. We've already kinda invested about $40k in development time on tzigla without any  plan to get that back. So, theoretically, it should be a no brainer to pay a designer, but invested money through spent time seems cheaper than invested real money, for some reason.

re: waiting to get it really nice before looking for users: Totally disagree! Perfect is the enemy of good.

We've launched tzigla to the forum after about 50 hours of work or so. We're now probably at 5-600 hours of work. We would have never, ever worked that much without feedback and/or some sense of motion. Not to mention it would have been way worse than it is now.

So, regardless of how good it looks, having more users is way better than the very few users we have right now.

re: offer about design stuffs: awww! <3

Please hit me up on gtalk/jabber IM. I'm evil@che.lu