AuthorTopic: Sprite Practice (C&C Appreciated)  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Gemini166

• Professional Pixel Mutilator
    • View Profile

Sprite Practice (C&C Appreciated)

on: November 30, 2010, 06:02:32 am
MASSIVE EDIT: As Tourist said, C&Cing so many dudes would be insanity. I don't know what I was thinking. So instead of posting again, I edited this post. To practice making sprites with Xtremeworlds (which uses 32x32 sprites with only two frames of animation), I have chosen a well known character and made animations for him walking in each direction.

C&C is much appreciated. And yes, he is taller in the side animations for one frame by one pixel. This is because the front/back animations go pretty much from left step to right step, and the side animations go from kind of regular standing to kind of ambiguous step. Also, I don't know if I should animate his hat in the walking upwards or how to do it or what, so I kept it still.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:12:27 pm by Gemini166 »

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: n00b pixel art (c&c plz)

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 01:46:51 am
This is not a bad start. 

The best advice I can give (and I'm not any particular expert), is to head to the first board  (Things of Importance) and look for the Tools, Resources Linkage thread.  There are links to several good tutorials to get you started.

It's easier to offer crits when focusing on one or two images at a time.  What you've got here is a variety of stuff, of different styles and scales.  Which is a fine way to start, but it makes it hard to offer crits.  I'm going to look at the man in green.

Very small; it doesn't leave you much room to work with.  I think a slightly larger size will give you enough space to practice art as wlel as pixels.  Not huge, just 40-50 pixels high or so.
He could use some feet.
He cold use some variety on color. Make his pants a different color than the shirt.
I don't think you need the black lines inside of the figure.  They eat up a lot of pixel space that could be better used for other things at this scale.

Image 7 the guy has some feet, but you change the shape and size of his head.  Anatomy practice would help.

But mostly, hit the tutorials, study the art basics (in pixels or on paper), and practice, practice, practice.

Hope this helps,
Tourist