AuthorTopic: Looking for some sprite critique...  (Read 19273 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Looking for some sprite critique...

Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:39 am
Are you suggesting that StarRaven makes an RPG WITHOUT ANY GRIND??? BLASPHEMY!

If it doesn't take 200+ hours to win, it's not worth playing (or making)!

:)

Seriously though, I agree with the shortform idea.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 07:20:00 am
Gah. I meant to get this done, but I've been unexpectedly busy the last few days. D: In the meantime, though, here's a WIP for a "cute little girl" character's run cycle:

Erm. I totally need to redo those legs. I really didn't look at those closely enough. For now, though, does the arm movement look okay?

The short form RPG is a good idea! ;D That's kind of how I'm working at the moment, anyway. One little area at a time. I figured if I can get one town, one wilderness, and one set of characters, I'll script a short game around that. :) If I want to make more stuff after that, I'll try to add to it.

Are you suggesting that StarRaven makes an RPG WITHOUT ANY GRIND??? BLASPHEMY!

If it doesn't take 200+ hours to win, it's not worth playing (or making)!
Hoo boy, I hate grinding. D: I wouldn't make anything that took more than 3-4 hours to beat, max. I start getting frustrated on games at about the 10 hour mark. :'( "Less is more."
I suggest for untransformation that the "fox" turns around so that the head is hidden and then the lady reveals spinning and raising.
That sounds like a good idea! I'll give it a try! ;D
Yep, it's a great-looking animation :) Small problem that caught my eye: The ears dangle around a lot, what's up with that? It makes them look like removable props attached to the hair instead of the head. IMO the ears should follow the head movement more or less rigidly.
You're probably right. I think I pretty much just did it like that because I thought it looked cute, heh. I'll try a version with the ears less floppy to see how it looks! Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:23:29 am by StarRaven »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 08:10:42 pm
If you want to do a full length rpg, but actually get something done, I would recommend going episodic. You could set it up so your saves from the last episode (or chapter or what have you) import into the next one, and that way if you get fed up with the artstyle mid-way through, you arent starting over from square one, just suddenly chapter X will look different.

As for the new animation, Im not really having problems with the leg movement, but Im confused as to what is going on with the arms, it kinda looks like she is just flailing them around. It might be that when she is fully blocked in and there is some perspective being created by the size of them it suddenly makes sense, but Im not really getting a read right now.

Offline WizKid

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:00 pm
I say make Short length pixel show out of it :) That would be a neat idea or make it like zez said and do chapters, That way it is short but can still be a bigger story

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 09, 2010, 11:37:59 pm
 ;D Episodes are a great idea! In that case, I won't be needing the little girl sprite for a while (unless I make kid NPCs or somethin... hm.)

Well anyhoo, I've been working on some menus and programming and stuff, but I'm back to this now. The south-facing one still isn't 100% done, but I'm taking a break on it... ^ ^;;

Also started on a portrait for her:

She won't actually be naked, armless, and boring, haha. I haven't started on the clothes yet and this is her "expressionless" expression. D:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:59:00 am by StarRaven »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 10:06:28 am
Although the portrait is high-quality so far, you're taking a major design turn by replacing the "manga/anime" look of all your former arts in favour of realistic eyes. It usually breaks the immersion in the game's environment when you do so because it makes the sprite claim "I'm not what you see, right ? people with such big eyes do not really exists".
Imvho, the sketch paint you posted earlier, while being not pixel art, provided a better base for a portrait in discussions or for box art, etc.

PS: shouldn't the head be more pointing forwards in the side-view run animation ? having the body getting straighter above the waist is somewhat curious and un-natural...

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 03:08:49 pm
Yeah, still a touch unnatural. Also,
twist the hip more.

Offline WizKid

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 03:33:24 pm
Although the portrait is high-quality so far, you're taking a major design turn by replacing the "manga/anime" look of all your former arts in favour of realistic eyes.

Them are manga/anime eyes, they just are not the chibi effected anime eyes.

This is what i feel.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 05:04:36 pm

I think you should stick to your original design.  What you have right now looks like Sakura from Naruto.  I would've much rather you animated the skinny version but it's too late for that now.  What you can do though is make her face more unique.  Super imposing her original face style on the new portrait could look really good.

As for your run cycles.  The arms seem to be forcing themselves forward and it's making it look robotic though it only seems to be noticeable on the left side(her right arm) (made an edit)

I edited the face and the arm motion I was talking about.  I'll let you be the judge of whether or not it's improved.  If you do like it feel free to use it I don't mind or you can edit directly over it till it's more to your liking.

As for the blue run I changed the swing of the front arm.  I left the back arm the same for comparison sake.   Also I changed the legs just a bit.  Furthermore because her legs don't push back on frames 1,4 there is no power to the run.  Instead she tucks her leg in which doesn't have the same effect.  It's kinda floaty not bad if that's what you want.

Once again use it or edit what I have if you like it.

Offline Blacklight_Studios

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 09:24:53 pm
 :-\  The blue run base needs to lean forward a little, to give it that "controlled fall" kind of look that natural running has. look through some manga or how-to-draw books that have running poses in profile, and you'll see what I mean.