AuthorTopic: Looking for some sprite critique...  (Read 19272 times)

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Looking for some sprite critique...

on: November 28, 2010, 04:05:34 am
Hello! I'm just practicing some pixelling and I don't really know anyone else who who knows anything about it, so I came here to look for help making it better. :3 Here's the sprite I was working on today:

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some concept art of her, to show you where I'm coming from:

Thank you! I might work on some animations for her too.
Started on a running animation...
http://www.omgimages.net/img/617/106549.gifhttp://www.omgimages.net/img/617/106550.gif
Something weird about it but I can't put my finger on it. Started blocking in colors, but something is still bugging me....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:04:00 am by StarRaven »

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Re: Looking for some sprite critique...

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:37:18 am
Yip, I really like this and it's v. v. good.
I think the ears need a wee bit more contrast to make them standout slightly from the hair as, currently, they just look like part of the hair.
Same with the eyes - they need to stand out more.
Finally, this may seem silly - in the concept art, the legs are slender..but they seem a bit more chunkier and athletic in the pixel version.

Minor things, but keep going, looking forward to seeing the animation.

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:29:18 pm
Well, that's a very masculine way of running, for one. It's also quite cartoony despite the sprite being disney movie realistic.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:44:47 pm
Mostly a color edit:

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:16:28 pm
Also a color edit.  Pushing the contrast in hues a bit. 

I agree about separating the ears from the hair.  Maybe use the skin colors for some or all of the ears.

Tourist

Offline ponjanes

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:16:25 pm
I try to kill most of your beautifull softy colors to enable contrast power, keeping the most your palette. Also, what about that black powerfull line outside? Check the one without it and tell me.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:08:34 pm
Yip, I really like this and it's v. v. good.
I think the ears need a wee bit more contrast to make them standout slightly from the hair as, currently, they just look like part of the hair.
Same with the eyes - they need to stand out more.
Finally, this may seem silly - in the concept art, the legs are slender..but they seem a bit more chunkier and athletic in the pixel version.

Minor things, but keep going, looking forward to seeing the animation.
Thank you! I've always drawn the ears like that, I guess, even in most of my concepts... I'll try to work on it! Speaking of concepts, this one was drawn while I was experimenting with other styles, so the sprite is actually more along the lines of how I usually draw her, hehe. It's a good view of her outfit, though. :3 She's very athletic, so I think that look fits her better.
Well, that's a very masculine way of running, for one. It's also quite cartoony despite the sprite being disney movie realistic.
"Disney movie realistic"? ??? You're right about the run. I'll give it another shot...

Thank you to everyone for the help! :D I worked on the colors, especially the eyes:

Original, new.
Thank you for all of the edits! They were very helpful. In some of them, though, her eyes ended up looking quite green. (They're supposed to be yellow, but it's really tough to give them enough contrast....) I actually really like the black outline, myself, but that's mostly personal preference. Does it look bad?

I'm still working on the animation... no update on that yet.
http://www.omgimages.net/img/617/106562.gif
Restarted it. This look a little more girly? Still thinking about the arms.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:04:41 am by StarRaven »

Offline ponjanes

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:01:31 pm
Quick edit to make it notable

In order to make it visible, contrast. Darker eyes = whitest skin. That's why in many animes girls with yellow eyes have dark skin, otherwise their big eyes and/or iris have strong dark outlines. As in that scale you don't have the room to do that, you must make her eyes darker. If is for a game you can always use interludes or other things to make the user know about her eyes.

Also tell us in wich resolution an size of monitor you expect to see that image, as if is very tiny, don't forget that it doesn't matter what you see with zooming, the eye will mix the colors and create new ones.

P.D.: Not at all, it doesn't look bad, I just were trying to show you.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:17:07 pm by ponjanes »

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:17:05 am
In order to make it visible, contrast. Darker eyes = whitest skin. That's why in many animes girls with yellow eyes have dark skin, otherwise their big eyes and/or iris have strong dark outlines. As in that scale you don't have the room to do that, you must make her eyes darker. If is for a game you can always use interludes or other things to make the user know about her eyes.

Yes, I'm not too worried about showing the exact color of her eyes with the sprite. I don't want them to look green though, hehe. I tried outlining them in brown a bit; does it look better?

I thought of changing her skin color; I made her more tan but her eyes just looked worse, I gave her dark skin and I had trouble getting her hair and clothes to look right. I'm pretty happy with her how she is now, at least in regards to character design. :3

Thank you very much for all the advice!  ;D

Edit: These were the alternate colors I considered:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:43:20 am by StarRaven »

Offline ponjanes

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 01:52:22 am
hmmm, those eyes...

what about now?

P.D.: By this moment I can only think that she haves an scar on his torso, am I wrong?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:59:09 am by ponjanes »