AuthorTopic: Frog Key Frames  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Frog Key Frames

on: November 22, 2010, 06:23:18 pm
I've got this sketch going:

So I'm trying to get this guy to hop over the other one to the next slot without touching him.  It's kind of hard to make it convincing , because that kind of jump isn't natural for a frog.  If you check this out on your graphics program, look at frames 8,9, and 10(When he's landing.)  Aren't they awkward?  I can't think of how to position his body and legs so it looks more natural.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Frog Key Frames

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:09:31 pm
The frames look alright, seems like the timing is just way off. There is no spring or pop, he just moves at a constant speed over the head of the other frog.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:00:39 pm
Thanks for the tip.  I was working on the short hop when you posted, so I tried to implement it:

But it seems weak.  Maybe it doesn't show up on a hop that short.  I kept playing with the frame speeds, but I can't get a "pop" going.  If I were to get that effect, would the frames be faster at the beginning or towards the middle?

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:52:46 pm
Hey there, I like what you have so far a lot!

I had a couple of suggestions:

1. Don't worry about the frame in between where the legs are  outstretched and where they curl back up.  It sounds like that may be the part tripping you up.
2. You could add a frame towards the beginning and the end of the frog squashing before it leaps and afterward before it settles.  I did a (very rough) mock up to show what I mean:

interstellartortoise.com

Offline Stickman

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:15:45 pm
Be sure to extend the frogs front legs when leaping.

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 08:22:09 pm
Hey there, I like what you have so far a lot!

I had a couple of suggestions:

1. Don't worry about the frame in between where the legs are  outstretched and where they curl back up.  It sounds like that may be the part tripping you up.
2. You could add a frame towards the beginning and the end of the frog squashing before it leaps and afterward before it settles.  I did a (very rough) mock up to show what I mean:

Gotta commend you for that - I was going to post about anticipation and whatnot, but you nailed it for him.
Great edit.