AuthorTopic: 11 reasons why I'll probably never have a job  (Read 6198 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

11 reasons why I'll probably never have a job

on: April 11, 2006, 12:18:16 am
Exam time, and I have horrible study habits.
My theory is everyone does the zombie thing at some point, so I might as well get it over with:

Some little colourful guys who'd probably be in some kind of game if I weren't so lazy:

And.. uh... miscellaneous?:

C&C will earn you love, so take that for what it's worth ;D.
I'm so going to fail.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Re: 11 reasons why I'll probably never have a job

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:24:32 am
colorful guys need to be more animated.. they aren't very fluent at all but i like the character design that's top notch.. specially the antagonist up top, reminds me saun of the dead.. the zombie looks nasty and dirty, and that that death animation is the shit xD
the guy at the bottom reminds me of doom for some reason anyways

this stuff rocks :3
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 12:45:27 am
Exceptionall fluent anims tremulant, you've got a great sense of weight with these. I think the gunshot anim needs work though, he's just standing there...firing, no pose; however that might be a comic/gag style thing. Colorful guy reminds me of dig dug hehe.

You might wish to try some mockup soons, your stuff is really sweet =D.

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 12:53:12 am
Him shooting is ruined by the legs being in that position in my opinion he's got a shotgun in his hands remember. The rest is very good though I was gonna comment on the walk animation but I'm guessing it's not finished as he lacks arms, I thought they were in his pockets but looking at the other sprite I'm not so sure.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 01:38:20 am
Esker it would seem you are correct... I thought that his arms were in his pockets initially as well, but upon closer inspection, the shirt area is completely blank minus that one fold near the pant-line that is also present in the fire animation.

Tremulant, your hero musten't go on life armless, it's inhumane! Also I hate to bring this up, but the dither on his pants doesn't seem to be looking too hawt >_<

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:19:28 am
Hehe either you guys are quick, or I'm a blatant plagiarist. Your influence comments were spot on (one having a huge Shaun complex, the other having been made after some time w/ dig dug) .

Zach: Heh I think the death anim's my favorite, but the blinky disappearance at the end was kind of a cop-out, wouldn't you agree? :P.
Dunno what to say about the colourful guys. Any suggestions on making them more animated'd be awesome.

Dhaos: I think the firing this was meant to be a bit of a gag thing, but it's also a result of trying to make the firing pose fit easily with the standing/walking poses.

Esker: You got it ;) The walk isn't finished. I'm considering whether or not to leave the arms as a separate object/sprite for easy 360* aiming in the game that'll probably never get made.

So don't worry Dhaos, I'll slap some arms on him at some point! Oh yeah, and the dither on the pants. Heh I can only assume you mean the squiggly green blob on the closest leg? Yeah, it's a typo...a big scribbly green pixel typo (what, they exist!) in need of massive cleaning. I'm on it!

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 03:21:19 pm
I love the little blue and green guys more than the zombies, they are so cute, really my kind of stuff.

The zombie are still great you've got something odd going on with the first ones arm tho, I guess his arm is trying to twist but theres some pixels popping in and out, its minor probably noone would notice but it bothers me a bit,

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 07:29:34 pm
I love the little blue and green guys more than the zombies, they are so cute, really my kind of stuff.

Funny you should say that, Tinygiant. I forgot to mention that your stuff was the major inspiration for the style/colouring on the little guys. :-[...Better late than never?
Looking through your site made me want to do something cute and colourful, and these are what came out :D

Thanks to everyone for the crits. I am still working on these, I'm just kinda slow.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 09:02:59 pm
I noticed that you have extra frames on your walking animation. They don't enhance the animation, but actually hurt it:

Also,  their is not as much folding or 'snapping' of the legs in walking as their is in running. And when the back foot comes forward, it looks like it sticks to the ground. The legs warp a lot, too, in a couple of frames. I'd edit, but do not have much time to do all of that.

The recoil of the firing in the shooting animation isn't believable; how is he picking his weight back up with his feet? Move the right foot forward about half of a foot, and his left leg back in the same distance holding him.

Thats about it. I love everything else, especially the sexplosion. Nice job.

EDIT: That animated face is amazing.
@darionmccoy

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 10:30:38 pm
one thing i think you could do would be to make the jaw on the zombie rotate more than drop, since atm it seems a bit unrealistic (lol...im talking about realism...with zombies)

and is it just me, or is the guy at the bottom that creep from F.E.A.R.?  i like his animation a lot
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 10:48:53 pm
i think it would be cool if the zombie had more of a slump when he walked, or dragged a leg or something.. i think it would look a lot better if your body was more in motion instead of being static mostly and the limbs just moving
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY