AuthorTopic: 8 BIT?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline tw1stedc0de

• View Profile

8 BIT?

on: November 19, 2010, 01:41:34 pm
Hey Im Lenny  ;D  and I wonder if there is any software where I can create 8 bit sprites?  :-\

Thanks

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

Re: 8 BIT?

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 02:47:47 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0
Scroll down for tutorials.

However, what you're asking is pretty ambivalent. Art similar as created on 8-bit console hardware? Art limited to 8 bits per pixel, or for a system with a total hard limit of a 8-bit palette?

8 bits, in the sense of color, means a limit of 256 colors simultaneously displayable on the screen. That's not much of a limitation for sprites outside their actual environment of games, and if the sprites run in a 16-bit or better display environment, that's all you need to note.
However, if you're running a game on an actual 256-color limited hardware, you must keep in mind that you must use that 256 color palette for ALL your sprites and background, in which case.... it's much harder, yes.
Older hardware, such as the mc68000 based Amigas had a limit of 32 colors, albeit there was a mode where you automatically got a darker shade of the color, which for most intents and purposes meant 64 colors.
As for, say, 8-bit nintendo...

Offline tw1stedc0de

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:37:52 pm
Ok. I downloaded graphics gale and it is not vector based  :) but the pixels are smaller than 8 bit they are 16 bit and I cant find a setting for making them bigger.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:16 pm
What are you even talking about? Sorry if I sound rude but I can't parse what you're saying at all.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:01:51 pm
GG is not vector based since it is a pixel art program foremost.

I do not get exactly what you mean by "the pixels are smaller than 8 bit"

The size of a pixel depends on your screen resolution. Older systems have a lower resolution so the pixels look bigger. Is that what you mean?

Also I am sure there is a tool to resize an image in GG and thus make the pixels appear bigger on high resolution screens.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:17:07 am
Pixel size is dependant on the screen's pixel size.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:15:49 am
tw1stedc0de:

Speaking in a other-than-strange manner may expedite the resolution of your query.

I only just figured out: you mean something like Grafx2 with it's options to double,triple, or quadruple effective pixel size. That's part of the screen/picture resolution adjustment dialog, and also available via commandline.

You and your psychedelic vocabulary have a good day ;)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.