AuthorTopic: working on a lizzard  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

working on a lizzard

on: November 12, 2010, 04:58:21 pm
After gazing upon cures monstorz, I was losing much sleep to their awesomeness and wanted to make one of my own.
After trying, I realized that artistic talent probably would help the matter. I suppose one way to develop skill, I guess, is to try... so thats what I did.

I came up with this:

After a quick critique from a well renowned artist whom of which is a regular here on the boards
(As soon as I get permission from said artist, I will post his edit which is in my opinion superior to mine.) its been a day and I havent heard from Elk, so I'm posting it anyway. He would have wanted me to share I think ;)

I ended up with this:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:50:09 am by Red_Mist »
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: working on a lizzard

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 05:12:55 pm
I think you got the style pretty good, but in terms of design, the monster would look better if he had a much bigger belly and like, a rabbit's hing legs. Or at least much thicker legs.

Right now, it looks like he can't support his own weight.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:34:14 pm
:)
you've done a pretty good job of emulating the style and colors.

rough edit, mostly for structure:

first thing that immediately struck me was his balance. he seems very wobbly, very close to tipping over. given the tail, he's got a lot of weight in the back, and with the structure of the legs and placement of the head so far back, it feels like he's going to fall over backwards. so i tried to counter the weight of the tail by having him lean forward a bit to support it (I feel this also creates a more natural flow for the spine/neck). second major concern was the legs- I'm not quite sure how they attack to the body. I think emphasizing that zig zag bend (elite legs, if you're familiar with Halo) would be useful, and as buddy said, making them less spindly will make the character more stable. I also widened his shoulders, as I felt his chest was being compressed into a small area. finally, i enlarged the far eye and moved it down, as the head is pretty level and that eye is a bit too small and also floating off.

color wise, the green highlight felt a little too saturated to work with the rest of the palette. I also made one of the purples a little more bluish just to add some variety to the purple ramp

my edit could probably be much more dramatic, but i'm pretty wary of making edits that stray too far from the original, especially if it's influenced by my work/style, I wouldn't want steer yours toward a carbon copy of my work or anything like that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:40:13 am by Cure »

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:52:14 am
Thank you so much cure, I will apply what you have taught me and hopefully have an update here soon.
Very awesome edit btw and the balance thing makes sense. also buddy90 thanks for the feedback, I will take it to heart and
make this character better at once!

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 05:38:44 am
I beleive the pose looks really static compared to Elks first one(theone you post) remember that drawing consist on different stuffs, the pose is an important part to consider it gives the drawing more dynamic, something that is worth the shot, currently yours looks nice, but the face looks way to big compared to the body, also the face looks darkened , add more light tones to it

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 09:36:50 pm
well, here is an update to my friend... I guess instead of going further I will try and construct a more dynamic pose.