AuthorTopic: Platfomer boss: Dragon [c+c needed]  (Read 6778 times)

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Platfomer boss: Dragon [c+c needed]

on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:15 pm
I'm working on the concept of a dragon like creature. My eye has blured, so I can't see flaws in the image. Need help!  Not sure if the lighting is correct and the colours are fine.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:28:49 pm by aramaki »

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: Platfomer boss: Dragon [c+c needed]

Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 01:36:24 am
I think that you are overusing squares a little bit too much on the spot patterns. The darker legs need a bit of work, too; they just look a little bit plain. Other than that, it looks great.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:40:04 am
seconding the squares comment.  also, the head and neck look pretty phallic, might want to break up that illusion a bit  :)

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:34:39 am
The fingers look a bit odd, specially on it's right (back) leg.
Also, it doesn't seem as the foots are holding any weight.

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 07:00:47 am
I agree with what has been said already, additionally I'd like to elaborate on Krut's post; The pose the creature is in looks weird because the way the legs are positioned is not a good way to support the weight of the thing. You'd expect the front legs to be more straight and to be directly under the torso to properly support that most massive part of the body. The same goes for the back legs, they are so far behind that it looks impossible for them to carry any weight.
I think it might help to use a reference at least for the pose, and try to think about where the creature's mass lies and how he can support it and how they weight "flows" to the ground through its legs.
^
||
NOOB

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:07:09 am
Totally disagree with Infinite. Right now he seems ready to take action, like a dog who knows the ball is about to be thrown. I feel the pose is fine.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 07:38:27 am
seconding the squares comment.  also, the head and neck look pretty phallic, might want to break up that illusion a bit  :)
Lol the pectoral muscles don't help much with the phalic appearance either.
Looks great so far though I look forward to seeing it progress :-)

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:56:53 am
Totally disagree with Infinite. Right now he seems ready to take action, like a dog who knows the ball is about to be thrown. I feel the pose is fine.
Do you have a dog?
Usually when my dog has her front legs so far ahead or her back legs so far behind it is because she is stretching them by applying her body weight on the legs. In a "ready to take action" pose she either has her entire body on the ground (as if she is attempting to hide herself from prey, like here: http://lovingnaturesgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mountain-lion-2975144846_eb2ef2e45d.png) or she has her front legs crouched and her back legs up and ready to move like here: http://stephaniefunke.com/resources/Mountain+Lion+-+400x+s.jpg . She never has both her front legs way infront and her back legs way on the back.
Also, if you look at the current pose and imagine how this creature is supposed to start running from that pose you'll see that it will have to first "stand up" correctly and then start running - all of the legs are stretched and not tense. (You'd expect them to be tensed to store energy that will be released when they suddenly stretch the muscle)

But hey, this is just make-believe anatomy we are talking about so there's a lot that is up to interpretation :)
^
||
NOOB

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 12:25:49 pm
Thank you very much, advices were very usefull.  I've changed pose a bit and tried to make his head a bit less phallic. Lol, I never intended to make it look that way in the first place.
Old                           ->                    New
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:25:03 pm by aramaki »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 11:17:47 pm
I like the newest one a lot. Your ramps are very straight, but that just seems to be how you like to do things. Any reason for no horns?