AuthorTopic: Robot 8 directional walking  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Robot 8 directional walking

on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:11 pm
Heeyy everybody  :)

I took a huge break from pixelling to work on drawing, and upon returning to the medium I found that I forgot a lot of things...  Mostly animation, though.

So here I'm starting to animate 8 directions for this little guy:

But before I do the other six, I really want these to run smoothly.  This guy is going to be the main character, so I'd really like him to look good.

I can't get his legs to look like they should... I would really appreciate some sort of edit.  And I know that the whole body is not moving with the walk, but it is a robot.  If you disagree, let me know. 

Also, should his right arm move with the walk if his left arm is aiming?  Should his left arm recoil slightly even though he's a robot?  Should his head move?  I know these things would bring the animation to life, but I did have a moving head and he just looked too loose. 

I'd also really appreciate some crits on the palette I've got going (Going for a slightly rusty look) and on the character himself, do you think he could be drawn any better.  And anything else you think I should know. 

Thanks

Offline Jhooqe

• View Profile

Re: Robot 8 directional walking

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:29:27 am
Cool! ;D

From the FAQ, in response to your last two posts:

"When you post a short reply like "that rocks!." or "it's crap!", or something that serves no real purpose, that is a one-liner. If you want to compliment someone on their work, take a little time to explain exactly why you think it looks good, or add to what someone else has already stated. Just try to avoid pointless posting."

Offline bgill31

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:49:54 am
The Iso robot seems way wider than the other one.

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:46:26 am
1) The legs don't look right on the southeast walking robot because one of his legs move very weirdly - the foot never flatly touches the ground, or even changes its absolute angle. The other foot never changes its angle relative to the rest of the leg.
2) You can choose whether or not the body moves, but not moving makes the robot seem very light (because then the force is weak enough to be overcome without us noticing), if you want to make the robot seem a bit more massive and real then making it move would improve it.
3) If you are going for a rusty look then give the robot a rusty texture, what I'm getting from the palette is "brown". I still think it is a nice palette though :)
^
||
NOOB