AuthorTopic: Big robot  (Read 4725 times)

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Big robot

on: November 08, 2010, 03:33:11 pm
Hiya folks! I recently took the art test for a company looking for a pixel artist and this is what I came up with:

interstellartortoise.com

Offline RCIX

• View Profile

Re: Big robot

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:06 pm
The only thing that might make it better (that i can see, anyway) is changing the lighting unless you want the overcast-day style lighting you have now.

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:12:02 pm
Here is an animated gif of my character building process --

interstellartortoise.com

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:12:28 pm
And the other character:

interstellartortoise.com

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:05:54 am
I love the piece, it's quite an eyesight.

The one thing I notice needs some work is textures and consistency. There are also a few angular problems with the robot that should have been fixed once you started to shade and define the robot.
Notice how the monsters, car, and HUD are outlined, while the people are not. If an object is to move or is to have some sort of role in the game, it should have similar characteristics as other parts of the game. Also, some outlines appear to be colored while others are pure black in areas that truly make no sense to be so dark.

I noticed on a close review that the light-grey stone wall on the buildings in the back don't quite blend right. The middle sections of wall have no texture, and that really makes them stand out from the rest of the piece, and I don't think that the walls in the very back should really "stand out."

And the most prominent sign of careless pixeling (hard to see from a first glance) is the lack of anti-aliasing and the multitude of banding (such as in the roof corners and on the robot's arms.)

You are a great pixel artist, and I am sure that you can become even better. Keep up the good work!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:01:17 am
I think it looks wicked but if you want critique I guess the car's perspective is off a little.
In my noobish opinion, I think maybe it is ok if the humans don't have the same outline if they are considered insignificant?

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:41:50 pm
I think it looks wicked but if you want critique I guess the car's perspective is off a little.
In my noobish opinion, I think maybe it is ok if the humans don't have the same outline if they are considered insignificant?

Yeah, if you want them to be out of the way, then they are fine how they are. If they are meant to be interacted with (such as if this were truly meant to be in a game) then an outline would help to identify them with the other interactive objects. It's just a style choice, really.

Offline evilDan

• View Profile
    • dansilber.com

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:44:55 pm
Thanks for the input FRAWG, I really appreciate that you took the time to articulate a critique.   

I intended to fix some of the issues and to post a new version before responding, but I got freakishly busy.  I agree about the cornerstones on the rear building and obviously the banding should really be fixed in a few areas.  The only thing I am not clear on are the angular problems with the robot -- I assume that you mean that the contour of the drawing is off, but I am not sure where. 

Decroded, you are correct: the car IS off perspective a bit, but that will take longer to fix than I really want to spend on this thing.
interstellartortoise.com