AuthorTopic: GR#072 - Minecraft Texturepack  (Read 38995 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

GR#072 - Minecraft Texturepack

on: October 30, 2010, 11:54:49 pm
I wasn't going to post this here because of the liberties I was taking with it(not stealing, but just being lazy), and the medium of which they are being used for(3D)... but in the end they're still tiles and icons and pixel art, and I need help. The Minecraft community is(no offense)... I dunno. Some people don't like the blue in the grass, some think the grass is too bright, some think the brown in the rock is ugly, some don't... It's this over and over. In the end I don't know what direction to take it so I think I'd be better off getting help from you guys. Again, if this is not the appropriate spot feel free to move it I suppose. Currently there are two things that I'm working on, the terrain textures(which are just composed of tiles) and icons.

The current icons are here:

Inventory gui:

Mojang Logo(sorry, generated text), I think I messed up the AA on this:

And the current terrain:

You can ignore the semi-transparent effects in the water and ice. That water isn't being used as I'm using an animated version and I have to apply the transparency in the texture pack as Minecraft doesn't handle that internally.

Everything lower resolution is the original graphics not yet replaced, you can ignore those as well. You may recognize the grass and dirt from old graphics I've made... yes as I said I was lazy and threw them in very early to just get rid of the default textures. I had no idea what to do with a grass texture for a 3D game as it's new territory for me so I never revisited. Also, I apologize if the textures don't make any sense for those not familiar, if I need to write out what is what I'd be glad to.

Here is my to-do list and concerns:
> I need to either touch-up or redo gravel completely(currently a grayscaled version of dirt)
> I'm not sure if I'm yay or nay on the crowdedness of the mine track turn texture. Too many planks of wood is the general consensus, may remove some.
> TNT fuse lines are way too noisy and incomprehensible. Will probably just have one fuse.
> Cotton(the mostly white tile) is plain and doesn't really work well as a texture. Will possibly replace with cross-stitch or pillow-like texture.
> Iron(the grey ore) doesn't stand out apart from diamond very well. I already changed the colors but forgot to update it.
> Diamond perspective does not match the rest of the icons. I had a lot of difficulty with it so I ditched the perspective early on. Need to revisit.
> Stone(cracked) tools aren't immediately differentiated from iron(non-cracked) tools. Need to make them easier to tell apart. Possibly make stone tools darker.
> Ingots shapes are awkward, and I had a very hard time even getting what I have. I need to possibly fix this somehow, but I'm not sure how.
> Paper icon(looks like a hand of cards) sucks. Need to revisit.

So, any help would be appreciated! I don't want to post screenshots as they are not pixel art(given they're 3D and all) but if they're needed I can post them.
There are other odds and ends not posted here since they're mostly model textures(skins) and such. Also, while on the topic this relates possibly to some pixel artists here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11159&PN=1
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:57:59 pm by Dusty »

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Re: Time for some help: My Minecraft texture pack

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:26 am
Firstly, the work at the pixel level is impressive, or at least I like it.

Sorry if this sounds like the same rigmarole that you have been dealing with in the MC forums but: My first impressions of some of these tiles is that they all look like they were pictures taken on a cloudy day - and I suppose that works what with the mist and all, but it would be nice to see some of the tiles intended for outside use shifted a bit towards the yellow end of the spectrum. Even the reds all appear to be a bit cool.

But, the takeaway here should be that overall my feelings are positive.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:39:14 pm
Firstly, the work at the pixel level is impressive, or at least I like it.

Sorry if this sounds like the same rigmarole that you have been dealing with in the MC forums but: My first impressions of some of these tiles is that they all look like they were pictures taken on a cloudy day - and I suppose that works what with the mist and all, but it would be nice to see some of the tiles intended for outside use shifted a bit towards the yellow end of the spectrum. Even the reds all appear to be a bit cool.

But, the takeaway here should be that overall my feelings are positive.
Eh, I can't say I'm sure what you mean exactly about being cool. Most of the tileset is comprised of grays which are pushed towards earthly browns. The only thing I know that is intentionally cool is the grass, which I kind of like. I tend to push my highlights towards warm and my shadows towards cool, but I'm not entirely sure if I was consistent or messed that up.

Offline Andrio

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 05:18:17 pm
I think it's absolutely fantastic. Once this is finished I will most definitely use it. Well done!

twitter | sup pixelation!

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:39:43 pm
Could you show us some screenshots showing your textures in game (if you can even do that atm, idk much about minecraft)... That'd be really cool man, these textures looks smooth and nice :D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:49:34 pm
These are kind of out-of-date, I can make some more up-to-date ones if it's needed.

Other screenshots can be viewed in the thread I made for it: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45333

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:57:55 pm
Oh, wow.
I'm impressed! :D I never thought it would pull off this well in-game.
This is totally sweet, please don't stop!  :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 06:18:12 pm
The biggest problem with your texture pack is that it's too good. The surfaces are more realistically textured, the blocks start to mean more in literal terms. Why is the world made of blocks? This isn't an issue if the textures are abstract and naive.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 06:50:24 pm
The biggest problem with your texture pack is that it's too good. The surfaces are more realistically textured, the blocks start to mean more in literal terms. Why is the world made of blocks? This isn't an issue if the textures are abstract and naive.
So do you feel this is kind of a fruitless endeavor? I constantly try to keep in mind that the world is blocky when I work on my textures, and avoid 'complex' features. There are many simple texture packs out there already so I think it would be a waste of time to pursue something more fitting for blocks.

As for why it's made of blocks... I dunno, it's Minecraft. I only mod the textures, the design stuff is what the maker decided. Here is a screenshot of the original textures, if you're interested:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:20:35 pm by Dusty »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:40 pm
The question was rhetoric. I've played Minecraft.

I absolutely do not think your tileset is a fruitless endeavor. I think it looks great and that you should finish it. It just will be met with resistance by people with a reason: it's too realistic for what the engine supports. What I'd like to see in Minecraft is pure diagonal vectors, flatshade perhaps. I don't think pixels help that game at all.