AuthorTopic: Larwickinator 2006  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Larwickinator 2006

on: April 08, 2006, 08:30:38 pm
I only called it that because ... er... who cares! Let's get onto the pixel art...

There isn't really much else i shall be doing to it, but i'd like to hear your views. I originally set out to create another fighter sprite, but i'm not sure so much anymore... but i definetely enjoyed making it anyway, and probably learned a bit. I realise the hand with the lightning on should probably be brighter, but i was drawn back from editing it too much... silly, i know.

And here's an animated 'blueprint' of the progress:

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: Larwickinator 2006

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 08:51:56 pm
That progress gif anim is hilarious! Great job on the bot, excellent pallete and design. The feet could use some tweaking methinks, they seem a bit sloppy. I *think* they're supposed to be roundish/curved (judging from the shading?) Currently that black line (indent mark?) is throwing me off.

Offline Hyun

• 'Tis what we dreamers dream of.
    • View Profile
    • Eo

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 09:07:26 pm
If only everybody provided great blueprints like you ;D. Gave me great insight on the how you did the piece. Great choice of colours, lighting is great too. What seems off to me is the position of his legs and torso/crotch. Now I don't know mecha armour very well, but even I think that position looks kinda painful for the guy - looks rather twisted. I would perhaps also lose the dither underneath the main chestplate and go for a solid shade.

I'm not an expert at all, so maybe my crit isn't the best :P I'm new to this - so please feel free to point out that I may be wrong!

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:34:13 pm
Very nice design, great (and funny) to see how you got there too.
I'd have to agree about the stance, well the leg on our right in particular. I think it looked better at the lineart stage. This might be because, as it seems the main light source is above, that leg would catch more light than the other as its bent.
A couple more minor crits, the forearm to our left looks a bit flat, I think the cylindrical bit could taper a bit towards the bottom.
Also, the colours are lovely, but that very grey midtone really jumps out on my monitor, I think the saturation could be boosted on just that one colour to match the rest a bit.
Other than that very nice indeed, I really love the sparky stuff.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 10:33:17 pm
I was watching this over at pixeljoint, but I just thought I'd mention that anigif is pure win on bread =D. Great job as always, larwick.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 09:56:57 am
Good desing , colors, and the animation is very Fun XD in overall good work :)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 11:11:40 am
very nice, look forward to seeing more
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 06:20:15 pm
His left leg's "shin" looks distorted and somewhat broken to me. The rest is pretty neat.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 07:00:22 pm
The entire design is very obscure to me. I can not imagine how his legs would even moved; it looks like his calve is joined by the CUFF OF A SHIRT ... really. The concept looks really lazy ... I would look into the anatomy of mechanics.
@darionmccoy

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 07:18:45 pm
Cheers for all the comments and critisism guys, i may edit some parts soon... maybe.

Seeing as there is no such thing as robots like this, i think its pretty easy to say he moves by MAGIC. But yeah, the balls above the feet and on its knees would allow the bendy... things to move in almost any direction. Also, at its waist, the stomach area is stretchy and therefore when the hips lean that way it pushes into the stomach. Yes, i know i'm no expert at the anatomy of mechanics, it was just for fun, not for real blueprints for a new production of killer death robots of doom and electricity. A shame, i know.