AuthorTopic: A baby Yeti  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

A baby Yeti

on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:59 pm
Hey guys, finally got round to registering here, I've bin watching from the sideline so far. I'd really appreciate some help with this piece, texturing it didn't work out and I still feel like its difficult to read. It's a baby Yeti all curled up to sleep. Tips/Critique on any and everything about it would be great, I'm really not feeling any style off it and its the third redraw from scratch I've made :(.

[EDIT]: I reworked the pallet and touches up the shading and some of the main shape. Feeling a deal closer to my intent now.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:19:42 pm by Cilein »
<3 programming and pixels

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Re: A baby Yeti

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:10:09 pm
Here is another update, redrew it using the same the same pallet but taking some colors out of it. The redraw is a larger piece and the anatomy and pose makes a bit more sense. Falling asleep crosslegged with weird foot angles isn't that convincing..
Thoughts on this version?

[EDIT]: On retrospect I think the right hand (his left) could do with tidying, and the shading on the soles of the feet. Animation in this would probably be nice too.
[EDIT EDIT]: Annd I will saturate his feet some more in the next update. Any advice/recommendations?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:20:18 am by Cilein »

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:59:06 am
Alright I have added animation! It's not totally done, but I plan to have him finish the cookie then burp it back out to complete the loop. I will shift the palette to the one above or a more colorful version of that later, I was using Pixen - and every time I save a piece it desaturates all the colors a little in my palette! Very frustrating.. I would stick with Pshop but animation and palette management isn't as straightforward.

To do;
-Complete animation
-Re-saturate the palette
-Tidy

The lower half of his body looks a bit static so in the tidying I think I will include some foot movement and the such as he leans forward, swallows etc. C&C appreciated

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:20:39 pm
It reminds me of one of the McDonalds mascots. Either way, good job on that animation so far :D

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:15:34 pm
In my personal opinion, the fur just looks like random noise. I suggest trying to add some layers or some shape to the fur, perhaps like this polar bear.

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:04:23 am
@FRAWG
I was aiming for having quite short fur to help illustrate a young age, I think a few folds could work nicely though - good idea! I'll give it a try on one of the frames and nail it down before re-texturing the whole animation.

@Tidbit
Thank you  ;D

Offline Rejected Skeleton

• Everybody lies
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 03:42:50 pm
Great work on the animation, but the only thing that I don't like is the color, it's too bright, try to give it more contrast.

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 04:13:13 pm
I will shift the palette to the one above or a more colorful version of that later, I was using Pixen - and every time I save a piece it desaturates all the colors a little in my palette! Very frustrating

The palette in the 2nd post is the actual one, I am going to try the suggestion of a better fur texture so my colors will get a shift for the better then hopefully.

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:12:10 pm
Here we go, a total palette revamp - 11 colors, more colorful now, annnnd the full animation cycle! That took ages! I was too far through to revamp the texture of his fur, but I like it as it is. This little dude has gotten so many revamps and redraws - really glad to have perservered though! I think I will leave it as is now, I need to move on, at least for a while. Thank you for the comments and critique guys :)

Offline krasimir

• View Profile
    • Riftforge Online RPG

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:35 am
I like the creature in general, though I can't honestly say it looks like an yeti. The general outline makes it look like a chick or something that has come out of an egg.
Playing: online RPG with  over 4 dozen pixel units and a ton of pixel enemies.
Blog: Diablo 3 item duping