AuthorTopic: run simon run  (Read 4327 times)

Offline bedelf

• java ftw
    • View Profile
    • Home of the Lightweight Java Game Library

run simon run

on: October 14, 2010, 06:18:41 pm
So lately I've been goofing around with animating things for practice. So I took Simon from NES castlevania, used the palette/scale, and made a guy (not an edit but it might as well be) that looks pretty similar I think - just in a full 6 frame run. I used axel from SOR2 as a reference once I got lost. I actually spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to cheat and do a simpler 4-5 frame one, but I just couldn't make anything that didn't look horrible. Prolly spent 3 days trying different things, getting the arms in the wrong spot, legs mixed up, etc.

I scrapped a larger, 8 color sprite before this that was the same thing because I just get overwhelmed by blobbing things in at that scale and it was taking too long. ;p So one thing that is really bothering me that I couldn't fix - no head bob. I couldnt figure out how to get it to look right.

I want do more with it, make a version where he is holding a 2h sword or something - so I'm looking to refine this if I can. C+C is what I'm after.

<-- thanks Peppermint Pig

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: run simon run

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 07:23:27 pm
When he extends his leg forward and drops it down his foot should hit the ground farther back then it is now.

Best example I could find:

http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/641386/nude-man-running-6.html

Offline bedelf

• java ftw
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:42:38 pm
edit with slightly more downplayed legs - and 2 changed keyframes for the foot plant to not be at extension length

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:22 am
Something that I came across yesterday that might be of interest to you is this thread by Conceit:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6237.0

Offline bedelf

• java ftw
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 03:49:25 am
Something that I came across yesterday that might be of interest to you is this thread by Conceit:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6237.0

ha, pretty clever stuff. Looks like just as much work figuring out how to make 4 frames look like more though.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 07:22:24 am
I don't like that castlevania "running" animation somehow. What I am missing most, is the "bouncing" of the whole body. Right now, it looks like he is walking, not running. To make it more visible, I have increased your animation playback speed here.

yours / mine
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:28:39 am by Lazycow »
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 07:27:44 am
whoops. wrong key. delete please
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline bedelf

• java ftw
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:07:46 pm
I don't like that castlevania "running" animation somehow. What I am missing most, is the "bouncing" of the whole body. Right now, it looks like he is walking, not running. To make it more visible, I have increased your animation playback speed here.

yours / mine

I see what you mean. Thanks for opening my eyes here.

I sped him up to 200ms per frame, then I changed frames 1,4 to be 1 pixel higher, frames 2,5 I brought himn 1 pixel higher and reigned in his back leg one pixel so it was still touching the ground (im fond of it). Result:

Offline bedelf

• java ftw
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:16:00 pm
and for fun, walking.