AuthorTopic: people...  (Read 9408 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: people...

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 07:07:04 pm
@Seven -  And I assumed it'd be understood that I was a "beginner"....
I'm just saying I took too many liberties with how much I guessed others could deduce by themselves...
Are you saying that just because you're a beginner we should've expected you to rip/copy/edit/whatever the heck you wanna call it? That's not really the case. I mean, sure, it's how alot of people start off, but it doesn't really help you get better, and it's never 'expected' of anyone, even beginners.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 09:02:30 pm
It's nice that you all jump to very very bad conclusions though... Nice to know that people here and at pixeljoint tend to be mean people that won't even wait for an explanation, or even reasoning first...

sorry to add onto this, i feel everyone else has made pretty strong points.
but i just wanted to add that we shouldnt have to wait for an explanation.

this forum is based for people doing their own original work therefore we dont need to know where the idea comes from most times.. however, since you ripped and we caught you, thats different. we found the cheat, and called you on it. however, since you felt comfortable posting your rip/edit, but did not know who created it, AND since you said you were going to find it out and give your 'explanation' shouldnt you have done that all in one post, opposed to posting the art waiting abit then explaning. people caught you, you originally didnt clarify anything, and now your trying to back peddle.

youd be surprised.. combined as a community we have probably seen everything pixelled, therefore trying to rip becomes quite difficult.

dont do it.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 01:41:25 am
It's nice that you all jump to very very bad conclusions though...
Maybe if you gave us a piece of information that would prove our conclusions false, then I'd agree with you. I'm pretty much with the rest on this though because you are trying to throw the blame at us for not being sympathetic with you. Basically, do something original and you won't have to go through this. You brought it on yourself. Twice.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 03:15:37 am
I think a factor in this drama might've been the double standard used in most sprite editing boards.

not stating the use of a base from a commercialy released game is generally ok around there, and it's almost taken as a game and a skill/knowledge test to see if people can really guess what is customized and what isnt.

On the other hand not stating the use of a "full custom"(something made by another internet indy spriter) IS frowned upon like any fraud should be.

I think it's partly to exclude people who arent really into sprite editing, both people who make everything from scratch and take pride in it, and the begginers who still dont know all of the games from which it is customary to take art from.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 03:27:20 am
Since this thread has lived up to it's premise I might as well ask camus, since you frequent (I assume?) such places, has anyone actually benefited substantially from editing other people's work on fora or 'custom'izing them as you say? Has anyone grown to be a great pixel artist that way? If so, links.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 01:13:03 pm
@helm: I can think of four people that became pretty good artists from ripping/editing initially: me, coldmage, ahruon, and valentine enigma. Magey used to do megaman edits, ahruon did narikiri dungeon2/3 edits, val did disagea, rmkxp edits, and kof edits. The majority of us grew out of it after less than a year, however, since we wanted to do 'better' than what we were editing.

mage's current work: http://www.freewebs.com/icetemple/
ahruon's current work: http://usuarios.lycos.es/cardgallery/main.htm
val's work is on my hd she doesnt have a gallery
my old shit: http://www.crystaltechstudios.com

When we all begin pixeling a few years back, they normally stated where the edits came from, we considered it forum etiquette to do so (my original edits were from FFT, ff6, and breath of fire 4.) Editing taught us basic form of our favorite sprite styles, how to precisely place pixels, etc. However the majority of those who edit, do it out of laziness unfortunately.

In order to gain anything by editing you *reaaaaly* have to study the edits and not just do quick rush jobs to please people... that sounds so dirty in a way.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 01:34:59 pm
Dhaos nailed it, it all goes back to motive.
He and his buds wanted to be pixel artists for the sake of making art and getting better, most of the rippers we run across just do it to look good, or at least, better than they actually are.  Drawing to impress instead of drawing to improve means people cut corners to avoid the "hard parts", and as with most things in beginning art, you aren't learning a whole lot unless it's hard.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 09:35:53 pm
helm, I feel you kind of deffensive understand I dont support this guy, when I go to sprite editing boards I try to advocate the policy we use around here.

I just wanted to state that this guy might've not been as malicious as everyone thought, this would have passed with no problem in some boards.

there's atleast one guy I know that doesnt fit even Dhaos'es criteria.

http://galeon.com/efex/web/page2.html

he hangs out here
http://s4.invisionfree.com/PrimeCentralStation/index.php?showtopic=824&st=210

he can perfectly make still frames from scratch in most popular fighter sprite styles, yet he has no shame in editing one of them if it fits him better. I belive it is true he is not trying to improve, he just wants to hang out where what he does is recognized.

I would love to see Efex get out of editing comunities and make some original stuff of his own. the more his style leaks trough capcom/SNK's the more I enjoy what he does.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 10:11:43 pm
I see dhaos. Thanks for the info.

The main problem I usually see with people from a spriteedit background is that whereas they have learnt how to shade elaborately done hair or cloth folds like in KOF, they can't draw a realistic head or the leg under the pants that the folds are on. They've learnt sprite art ( NOT pixel art ) but they don't have the general art skill to put it to original and cohesive use. I personally find artists that only do fighter sprites, or only rpg sprites and tiles, or only whatever, to be 'crippled' pixel artists. To be a great pixel artist, I think, you must have solid skills with a pencil before anything else. To design and have a personal aesthetic. When I was younger it was much more easy for me to be wowed by a good fighter sprite. Now that I know how they're made and what they amount to, a person like this efex really does nothing for me. I see fighter sprites, a lot of them. Some good techniqes. But pixel art is much more, and I don't think anyone really sets on that path through editing. He might pass through editing in that path, but editing doesn't put him on the path. If the height of your ambition is to 'do sprites like the KOF people' then that's not the path I'm talking about.