AuthorTopic: WIP - Sidescroller Protagonist  (Read 3102 times)

Offline staticwind

• View Profile

WIP - Sidescroller Protagonist

on: October 10, 2010, 08:26:21 am
Hi everyone c: This is my first sprite I've ever made for a game so I really don't know what I'm doing. OTL

I've just started working on a side scroller game with a club in school.

The main character is supposed to be a little boy around the age 4.
*edit 10 colors

I'm working on the idle animation of him. I want it to be smooth and I'm not sure if it looks right for this type of game?
10 colors

Here is a WIP of how I made the sprite.

Much of my design for him was inspired by this little boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoeKT3qMrMI

I greatly appreciate any help and I am willing to make changes! Once I'm done with the idle I am planning on making him run, jump, and shoot his weapon.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:27:18 pm by staticwind »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Re: WIP - Sidescroller Protagonist

Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 07:37:58 pm
I think you should find a middle ground between the too many colors version and the current version. Specifically, the body and face of the new version looks way better, but the highlights in the hair on the version with too many colors look amazing, and really compliment the chibi-anime look, so I would keep them.
Your idle looks pretty good, but I have a slight problem with it. Basically, the hair torso and arms appear to be slightly rotating, but the legs and face dont. My solution would be to either loose the subpixel work on the hair, and just make the head move back and forth, well changing the legs slightly to make it look like he is shifting his weight back and forth, or make the legs and face rotate along with the rest. If you go that path, slight rotation on the legs/hips and more rotation on the face/head.

Offline staticwind

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:43:15 pm
Thanks for the help! I added one more color to the hair and tried to make the legs look like they turn too.
I'm not sure how well the face turns though.

Offline voidSkipper

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:17:56 am
That idle animation has a lot of personality, I like it a lot.

I'll be interested to see how your walk cycles look.