AuthorTopic: Help on hair  (Read 7454 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Help on hair

on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:55 am
Hi everyone. I haven't been able to be active since I have no internet at home, but I have done some small 1 hour works pixel art here at the public library using these computers.

Can anyone critique me the hair of this face I made? I was trying to do Selene, from the Underworld movies.

*removed*

And any other tips. I will be working more on this. Can't really do much for now since my time is over for the day and this place will close haha... I will reply on monday hopefully.

This is the reference I used to get idea on the details:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:01:44 pm by CharlesGabriel »

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Re: Help on hair

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:46:18 am
Looks really good. :) I see few flaws to point out.

I think the top, main highlight (the one that connects three locks of hair), has too perfect of a line at the top. If you work that out, I think it'll look a bit better. Also a bit of dithering here and there, especially between the three darkest shades, could go a long way.

Really great work. I like it. :)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:13:27 am

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 04:24:56 am
I think the main problem is that it looks too..bright. If you look at your source pic, the lighting, is clustered near the top and spreads out towards the bottom where it lessens. The way you have it, is that the light source is spread all through out the hair, where it should only be on one location.
I would actually edit yours to get my point across, but I'm a tad to tired at the moment. The example above my post is actually a good example of proper lighting.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:00 pm
Sorry EvilEye and everyone else for not posting this earlier. I have finally started working a bit on the face... this is what I have got so far. Still, after watching the reference EvilEye made, I am having issues with making the mouth realistic haha... and I believe it's cause I need to go back to anatomy school.  :D

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:48:01 pm
Sorry EvilEye and everyone else for not posting this earlier. I have finally started working a bit on the face... this is what I have got so far. Still, after watching the reference EvilEye made, I am having issues with making the mouth realistic haha... and I believe it's cause I need to go back to anatomy school.  :D

Another small edit from this last one... basically showing the hair in the back instead of all black color.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:41 pm

EDIT 1: Another small edit from this last one... basically showing the hair in the back instead of all black color.

EDIT 2: I filled in a bit the gap in between her hair and her cheek.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:06:50 am
I think that fuller lips would make her look more feminine.  A different nose would be nice, perhaps rounder or pointier, but not so big and blocky like a man's.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 03:28:11 am
I think there is an error in where you have the part in the hair.  In the original, the part is in the center of the head (if she were looking directly at you).  You've got the part sort of in that location, but the hair s drawn as if it were parted on the side.  Note the difference between the sharp corner you have vs the shape in the original.  Oh, rats, this is hard to explain.  Umm, this:

except with more care taken, obviously.

If you want to keep the part on the side, I think you need to move it down some.

Tourist

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 03:48:08 am
In my experience, dither doesn't work great on skin. There obviously a million counter examples, so what I mean is the type of dithering you've done on the face HERE doesn't work. Usually it just masks colors that are not working together, and removes definition of features, and adds weird texture.

Look how good EvilEyes looks without dithering, he gets so much definition in such a small space. He also uses the colors well, less of a paintbucket mentality and more of a liberal approach to using them all over the place to maximize their effectiveness.

EvilEye, I gotta say that edit is amazing. Honestly I think that edit alone stands up as an amazing piece of art. You just captured that slight angle so perfectly, and the expression transcends the ref picture.