AuthorTopic: More than 50 frames?  (Read 6982 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: More than 50 frames?

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 12:11:32 am
pkjo: ah, that's a *workflow* question.
(incidentally, it's completely orthogonal to the question of whether you work with 1 layer/frame or 1 image / frame.)
What you describe is a very common process among animators, because that is a pretty effective method.
I used it to make this yesterday:

however, it has larger stages. As a rule, first the key frames are done, then the same process is used to fill in in-between frames, and once the whole animation is looking good, it's rendered (previously being just outline, thumbnails, silhouette or flat colors)

If you're talking about multiple independently-animating objects, these are usually individually animated then inserted into the animation as an animation (on their own layer or similar.). I definitely recommend something advanced like GIMP-GAP  for such an application. Layers and comfortable support for 'sub-animations' are a must for such projects.

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline pkjo

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 11:18:01 pm
What you describe is a very common process among animators, because that is a pretty effective method.
I used it to make this yesterday:

Just to clarify, you're referring to the editing images and not the layering method right?

Key frames? I thought that was something usually done with the layering technique. I guess it's something all animators do. Personally I've never tried but it seems like an efficient method. I'll be sure to give key frames a go  :)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 01:48:17 am
Just to clarify, you're referring to the editing images and not the layering method right?
Yes, I did that with GIMP-GAP, which uses 1 image per frame.
I used to use the layers method, but I found it too limited (and somewhat awkward)

Key frames? I thought that was something usually done with the layering technique.
You may be thinking of onion-skinning (which is certainly a vital tool when drawing keyframes).
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.