AuthorTopic: Sprite Bases [nudity?] [WIP]  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Sprite Bases [nudity?] [WIP]

on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:08 pm
Hey everyone this is a first time post for me, but it doesnt mean C&C aren't welcome.
Just thought i'd share something that i whipped up this morning. Im finding that alot of sprite bases dont have perfectly normal poses or custom clothes.
Heck, ive been frustrated from it before, and instead of waiting around for someone to do it, i decided to go ahead and start my own!  ;D

Obviously, not a whole lot of color variation, but i was wondering if you guys would go ahead and throw some suggestions my way?
I plan to add plenty of hairstyles, clothes, and eventually body types (Ex. Ectomorph).

<EDIT>

I added different skin tones, and cleaned up the color scheme on the caucasian skin.
I hope to finish some more skin colors soon, more strange, possibly green and white.
Also, i made some beginning hairstyles, but ill post those at a later date.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:33:11 am by Platypotter »

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Re: Sprite Bases [nudity?] [WIP]

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:53:55 am
There are a few things I noticed that need some work. The first thing is the one of the legs on the males. (image below)

Also, you might want to add one more color to get those dark darks, or highlights.
The dark toned also looks a bit red, so i'd consider changing that, as well.
Also, you might want to try some AA; especially on the arms.

Edit: The female legs seem a bit too far apart, too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:56:43 am by Drakojin »

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:35:43 am
First let me know what AA is lol
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:04:56 am by Platypotter »

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:41:33 am
AA stands for Anti-Aliasing. Aliases are hard edges, in 2-dimensional or 3-dimensional art that causes elements to stick out, where perfect, hard lines are visible. In 3D games, if anti-aliasing isn't used, you can often see hard edges along the edges of a polygon. It looks like the edges are jagged. This can be especially bad on stuff like chain-link fences.

In 2D art, it's when you have hard edges that stick out noticeably, and you need to do some blending of the colors, on the edges.

Here's a tutorial that explains the process of anti-aliasing pretty well.

I think your templates look really awesome! Really love it. In terms of aliasing, you only really have it bad on the insides of the legs, along the arms, and on the right side of the heads. Personally, I'm not even sure I'd worry about aliasing on a template. The idea is that you'll eventually put clothing, hair, etc on top of this. At that point, when you have a finished sprite, then I would consider adding AA. It's more of a finishing touch IMO.

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:55:29 pm
OH! okay. Thanks. Now that you explain it I got it.  :)
Yeah i was actually thinking about that. The edges look really... well... edgy.  :P Ill take a look at some other sprites and maybe check out that tut you posted. Ill repost my sprites later today cuz ive changed alot since last post.

Thanks for your comments by the way! Crit always helps, and compliments make me want to keep going!   :D

EDIT: Could someone try Doing some AA on my bases?

<EDIT>

I did a little Anti Aliasing, but considering Lukkas' comment of these sprites being a templatye, i decided not to go crazy with it.

I've fixed color issues that were brought up, mainly the "redness" of the Dark shade. Ive also added a 4th color to each palette for the sprites.

On the topic of structure, however, i fixed up the female's legs and the males arms.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:50:02 pm by Platypotter »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:28:54 pm
I feel that your colors are too blah.

Here's the sort of direction I would go:

When you're working with so few colors, each color has to have its own purpose and its own identity, or it's just going to blend with another.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:41:13 pm
Well, i will agree they are blah. But so is human skin tone, yknow? and of course ill be adding in-betweens and even Green or purple skin eventually, but these colors make up most of the human population.

I do enjoy your color scheme though. your style is unique and deserves recognition. :)

<EDIT>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HAHA! RELEASED! Another 4 extra color schemes, (im a little shakey about the yellow one. Too vague.)

But i plan to release the rest of my clothing and hairstyles later in "packs".

I have finished:
-2 styles of Male jeans, in 5 colors each.
-1 style of Female jeans, in 5 colors each.
-2 Male and 2 Female Hairstyles each with numerous colors.
-1 Male and Female style of shirt, each again with many colors.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:46:30 pm by Platypotter »