AuthorTopic: Angel (WIP) Need Help  (Read 7578 times)

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Angel (WIP) Need Help

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 10:49:10 pm
You're doing a great job.  I'm surprised you need help with the face and feet.  Anyway, I like small detailed stuff so here's a quick face edit for an idea...

Can't wait to see more progress.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:33 am
You have alot of great texture going on, but no real volume. Everything looks sorta flat and lumpy. You really need to figure out your light source and get some good volume going before you go texture crazy. :D

Also my try at the face, mine's an edit of dpixel's. :o

Offline Smood

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:01:59 am
Ohh thank you Guys!

Quick Edit:

Offline Smood

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 08:45:52 pm
So, there are just these feets left and of course.... the background!
Anybody an idea what for a background i could use?

Btw:

I dont like this version...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:30:02 pm by Smood »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:23 pm
The hair seems too stiff on the forehead for some reason.  It might work if the head looked like it was tilting to the side a bit more (see my edit above).  I wouldn't dither the face either(or at least that much).  That's just personal taste tho. 
The feet should be easy since the hands came out nice.  ???

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 01:09:38 am
whole thing looks pretty flat 'cause there aren't any large areas of light or dark, no bright planes of highlight of significant areas obscured by shadow. there are basically highlights and shadows all over (on the dress), makes it look like a camouflage design. the area connecting the head and neck should be more of a gentle slope since she's looking up, and the face is placed too low on the head, so it looks like it's sliding off (dpixel made a pretty good face edit, eyes a bit low on that one but otherwise pretty accurate). try to find a reference image of a person with their head in this position. i also think the folds are overdone, so it looks very crumply, rather than smooth elegant fold draping off her body. maybe look up some renaissance sculpture (they did lots of pretty drapery), michelangelo or some 15th century northern artists.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:20:55 am by Cure »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:20 am
You just copied and pasted my edits on the boobs, which defeats the purpose completely. :\

Also i really prefer the pallet before. The blue tinge to everything is nowhere near as warm and varied as what you had before. That being said the whole pallet could do with some consolidation and tweaking. :]

Also i second everything cure said.

Offline Smood

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:05:06 pm
Ohh im sorry. If you dont want it, tell me  ::)

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:20:13 pm
My biggest criticism so far is that there does not seem to be any real rhyme or reason to the shapes of clusters of pixels. I mean, there is, but the outlines are awfully jaggy and irregular, and could be cleaned up relatively easily. Also, the shading is somewhat pillowy and as a result the wings and the body appear to be on different planes.

I will take a crack at a proper edit to show what I mean when I am not at work.

Incidentally: where is this taking place and what is the scene surrounding the pose? The pose does not convey a particular story or action to me, despite it being a relatively unlikely pose (as opposed to simply standing or reclining, say.)

All that said, I think this piece has a lot of promise and you seem to be doing a good job of developing it.

EDIT:

Is there a reference for this image? I ask because if there is it will be helpful to compare and also might help explain the unusual drawing-a-bow/warding an attack pose. Incidentally I notice that that pose is not unusual for angelic characters, oddly:

EDIT (again):I am a doofus

Yeah, but just really for the wings.
I took some pictures from google (like a dress or something) but the only picture i still have, is this:
http://www.hd-gbpics.de/gbbilder/engel/engel5.jpg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:28:07 pm by SwapBrain »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 03:39:00 pm
Taking an edit as your own defeats the whole purpose of someone doing an edit. I know one of the mods wrote a very good post about this sometime. But anyways the point of an edit is for you to see how others would approach it and then learn from their example by trying to apply similar principles yourself. Taking it you learn nothing.

I have no issues with people building on what i've done, but that's a colab not an edit and it doesn't help you improve. It's not really about this artwork being the best it can be, if that's what you want someone else could finish it for you. But for you to learn the skills to make it the best you can and for you to be the best you can be.

That you don't recognise this shows pretty clearly, you've missed what i see as the whole point of this forum. (self improvement that is)